How to support a person/friend who could be experiencing family violence?
1. Notice and identify if there is sign/symptom of family violence.
2. Show that you care. Ask questions if needed to clarify.
4. Point the person to resources to seek help.
If the person is NOT ready to seek help, show that you care, and find out what is a safe way to pass the information on the resources to the person for his/her future references.
Note: In event of immediate emergency (e.g. when the person experiencing family violence is at immediate risk of danger), please contact the police hotline for assistance as soon as possible.
- Helplines to call for assistance when experiencing family violence in Singapore:
- PAVE Integrated Services for Individual and Family Protection: 6555 0390
- TRANS SAFE Centre: 6449 9088
- Care Corner Project StART: 6476 1482
- Big Love Child Protection Specialist Centre: 6445 0400
- HEART @ Fei Yue Child Protection Specialist Centre: 6819 9170
- ComCare hotline: 1800-222 0000
- The National CARE hotline: 1800-202-6868
- AWARE Singapore. Dealing with Family Violence.
- What to do if you know someone is experiencing family violence. These are helplines to call for assistance. (Gov.sg, 24 Jul 2020)
- In Singapore, the Taskforce on Family Violence was set up in February 2020 to develop a comprehensive understanding of the family violence landscape in Singapore, and to bring together various stakeholders to jointly develop recommendations. The report was subsequently made available in September 2021. If you are interested in the statistic, the family violence landscape or you are a professional supporting people experiencing family violence, you can read the report "Tackling Family Violence: Awareness. Prevention. Protection. Accountability." here: https://www.mha.gov.sg/docs/default-source/default-document-library/family-violence-taskforce-report.pdf
- AWARE has produced a factsheet "Public perceptions and attitudes towards violence against women" based on results from a survey conducted between 2012 - 2013.