Sunday, January 21, 2007

Week Three of 2007 on the doublebass

I am feeling awfully tired, mentally and physically. My hips are hurting from time to time and I can't figure why. For the past few days, whenever I sat down on the seats of the MRT train on my way home, I instinctively can't help but to take a nap. These appear signs of declining health, and I am not even in my thirties.

I haven't practised on the double bass today, even though I had planned to do so. Anyway, for week four of year 2007, I shall give myself the permission to take the necessary rest. If I fall short of my target (of practising on the double bass four days a week, at least 15 minutes on each of the four days), I shall give myself the concession to do so.

Anyway, for week three of year 2007, I have managed to keep up to my target where practising on the double bass is concerned.

Sunday, 14 Jan 2007, is the first day of week three. I was practising in the late afternoon and the night, working on the following:
- C major scales
- Marcello's Sonata in G major
- first half of Faure's Sicilienne
- the melody for Pachelbel's Canon in D major, scored for a double bass quartet, arranged by David Heyes

On Monday, 15 Jan 07, I was practising from 10.55 p.m. to 11.20 p.m., with a practise mute on my double bass, to mute the sounds from it.

Perhaps I had rather practise than to rest, I started practising on the double bass at about 11 p.m. on 16 Jan 2007, and only stopped playing at about 11.30 p.m.

On Wednesday, 17 Jan 2007
, I must have been going crazy. Despite being awfully tired from the day, I stayed up beyond midnight to practise Faure's Sicilienne. Not forgetting, I had already played on the double bass during the double bass sectional and the orchestra rehearsal earlier that evening.

On Thursday, 18 Jan 2007, it was the day that I had double bass lesson. I had played on the double bass for at least an hour, if you consider that practice. Lesson went good.

I was too tired on Friday and Saturday to practice. These aren't too good signs. I can only learn not to push myself too hard. I shall take small but steady steps to work towards better health. Cheer me on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

really sounds like you're pushing yourself over the limit! take time to rest. sometimes it's better to sacrifice a bit of practice time for good sleep, to rejuvenate, and you'd be surprised that the next practice session would be even better! take care of your health ok... :)

mistipurple said...

i think you're basically a healthy person, so no worries in that dept!
what you might need are some good vitamins. ask your doc to recommend?
and yes, May's advice is good ya?
sleeeeeep!!! (i should listen to her too. lol!)

goldilocks said...

sleep early. eat light. stay positive.

pinkie said...

hips hurting? Could it be your posture when you play?

declining health... Can start exercising perhaps?

oceanskies79 said...

May: Thanks for visiting. :)

My mind is on practising....but my body hasn't been cooperative. Yah, a bit of rest does help. I am less sleepy today.

Misti: Oh, that sounds reassuring to hear I am basically healthy. Now, maybe it is time for you to sleep. I have a feeling that you sleep much less than I do!

SA: Thanks for your concern.

JY: hmmmm.....let me see about these....I am getting resistant. :P

Pinkie: Not sure. The hip pain has been bugging me for a while.