Sunday, February 25, 2007

Week Eight: double bass lesson

Continuing from my post Week Eight of 2007 on the double bass, I had practised slightly more than four days for week eight of 2007.

22 Feb 2007 was Thursday and I had double bass lesson with MJ. It started off with me having a blocked nose. To relieve the symptoms, I took at least two extra strong mint throughout the lesson.

I have finally registered for the DipABRSM exams earlier that afternoon. Please wish me good luck and excellent playing for my exams.

Back to the lesson. I started out with some warming-up exercises. That was followed up by me playing the entire Marcello's Sonata in G major. It was not my best rendition. I would like the third movement to be more fluid and sound darker in its tone. Quite a bit of time was spent on doing strings-crossing using wrist-action and minimising movement from other parts of the right arm. I spent the time thinking: figure "8".

After MJ was satisfied with Marcello's Sonata in G major, I played Keyper's Romance and Rondo until it was time for the next student to come in for his lesson. I figured that I have to practise Keyper's Romance and Rondo with a metronome as often as possible so as to keep time. Achieving a moderate tempo and keeping a regular pulse would be fairly important in playing works from the Classical period, I read.

I was also aiming to achieve a clean sound on the double bass so that Keyper's Romance and Rondo would sound just like it is a work from the Classical period. Well, achieving balance was the key, and I am still working on it.

There was no further practice for the rest of week eight. I needed an early rest on Saturday.

1 comment:

oceanskies79 said...

Hi SA: Thank you very much.

Relax...dear daddy of your daughter. While it is not possible to reach absolute perfection in music, there is always room for improvement. Maybe that is why you think she can do better?

The love for music has to be cultivated, not hurried. *winks* Let her go at her pace, and just simply, enjoy music-making. It is fun!