Saturday, August 04, 2007

29 Jul 07 at the Singapore Heritage Fest

After the lovely meeting with Carcar and Eastcoastlife, Carcar and I took a bus to head for town. I alighted at Suntec City Mall to check out the Singapore HeritageFest 2007.



My first impression of the Fest is that it was very noisy. Thank goodness that I usually carry ear plugs whenever I am out. I should be grateful that I have ear plugs with me. Armed with the ear plugs, the noises from the loudspeakers of the Fest's stage did not dampen my mood to enjoy the Singapore Heritage Fest.

The school table exhibit that I saw at the Fest captivated my attention. It looked quite similar to one of the wooden tables that I had used when I was a Secondary Two student. Come to think about it, I miss having to use wooden tables for lessons.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

It also trigger pleasant memories to see chalks at the exhibition. I don't play the violoncello, however, when I was a member of the Chinese Orchestra during my Secondary School days, the double bass section and the cello section were combined to form the lower-strings section. My Secondary School was still using chalks up to the time when I was in lower Secondary level. Seeing the chalks remind me pleasantly of the times when I would witness the cello players using chalks to rub against the pegs of the cello so that the pegs won't slip that easily.

Admittedly, I did not, and I still do not, like having to wipe the chalk off the blackboard. My eyes would usually be irritated by the dust from the chalk.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

When I was in Primary School, I had used a pencil case that was similar to the one that you would see right below. On one occasion, I remembered that I had won a pencil case from some competition, and that pencil case was one with two different sides. It also had special features such as built-in sharpener, built-in mini magnifying glass. The special pencil case had buttons which one could press. One of these buttons when pressed would make a hidden compartment reveal itself so that one could keep paper clips in the compartment.

It is interesting to realise how my preference for pencil case has changed. I won't want that kind of pencil case if I were to buy one now. I would prefer something light and soft. No more gimmick now.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

At the Fest, I bought myself a copy of the book Discover Singapore Heritage Trails Published by the National Heritage Board. Actually, I was more interested in World War II Sites of Singapore that came complimentary when one purchased Discover Singapore Heritage Trails.

Last but not the least, if you enjoy reading more about the Singapore Heritage Fest, you may wish to check these out:

3 comments:

Chen said...

white chalks - i haven't see them for ages, since i left secondary school.

oceanskies79 said...

I have not seen chalks for quite a while too, until I was at the Heritage Fest recently.

Simple American said...

I always got in trouble and would have to stay after school to clean the erasers and board. Argh. I hate the smell of chalk.