Saturday, August 04, 2007

Week 31 of year 2007 on the double bass

29 Jul 2007, Sun: I sight-read Vernon Elliott's Odd Man Out. It sounded like a humourous piece of music. Afterwhich, I spent some time practising the first and fourth movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major using my rehaired bow.

1 Aug 2007, Wed: Before the orchestra rehearsals began, I attempted to sight-read some works. Subsequently, orchestra rehearsals began. We rehearsed several works that will be performed during an upcoming performance held on 15 Sep 2007, 3 p.m. at NLB Plaza. More details will be provided at a much later date.

We played selected passages from The King and I. The tunes felt cheerful but I did not feel connected to them. I was more in the mood to play sorrowful music, but there was hardly any sorrowful tunes to be rehearsed for the rehearsal.

During the break, I took some time to practise Keyper's Romance and Rondo and Faure's Sicilienne. I am beginning to love playing on my boyfriend, the double bass that I use at the orchestra. I love its mellow yet deep sound, and it feels relatively easy to play certain passages on it than my husband, my own personal double bass.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

2 Aug 2007, Thu: The day became more bearable because of the thought that I would have double bass lesson after the work-day. Hoping to have more time to practise Faure's Sicilienne and Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro before I play it for lesson, I decided to work on Marcello's Sonata in G major and Keyper's Romance and Rondo.

But before these, I asked for some time to do quick-studies of three excerpts from orchestral works. I have learnt that when it comes to sight-reading, having a steady sense of pulse will be important.

4 Aug 2007, Sat: I am trying to catch up on time to practise. For the day, I spent at least an hour practising Faure's Sicilienne, concentrating to get the rhythm right. After that was done, time was spent practising Rachmaninov's Vocalise and Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro.

Thankfully, I had some time to write programme notes. Once I am done with this task, I would need to find some help to have the programme notes proof-read.

**
For this week, I have managed to achieve my goal of practising at least four days per week, at least 15 minutes per day.

Please wish me lots of good luck meantime.

2 comments:

Simple American said...

I always wish you luck. :)

Interesting picture of the double bass. What do you call that part?

oceanskies79 said...

SA: Thanks a lot. :)
That is a machine head, which can wind the strings.