Saturday, October 29, 2005

Tropical sun can make one melt

The best time to be out to take photographs is ironically the time most people won't want to be out. In yours truly's humble opinion, the best time to capture the warmth and vivid colours of the tropical region is when the sun is very bright until the sun turns a nice hue of blue. But that is the kind of weather that many people may not wish to be outdoors if they were given some choice.

One would need to be well-prepared to be able to withstand the heat from the scorching bright sun. That heat can make one feel as if one is melting. If you had read my post titled Tips to survive the Singapore's climate, you may have some clue that it would be helpful to wear light-coloured clothings, wear a pair of sunglasses, bring water and put on sun-block lotion. In addition, I think it might be helpful to wear a cap to give one some shades from the sun.

However, the rewards to be outdoors during such weather can be numerous. Firstly, I think the bright sun can provide very good natural lighting when one takes photography outdoors. Usually, the photographs that turn out will have a nice tropical feel to it. Secondly, since few people would bother to be outdoors under such weather, one could have most of the space outdoors by myself. I may sound like a hermit, though I am not. I just need some space to retreat to my inner world. Thirdly, a bright sun makes the skies look a brighter hue of blue and that could bring some delight to one's eyes compared to a dull grey skies. Here, I qualify that I like dull grey skies too, provided that the skies are extremely grey yet with a sad character.


Singapore River, near the Esplanade Bridge.



So these rewards help to get yours truly willing to bear the hot tropical weather. It can be hot until one needs to have drinking water readily available to drink to prevent dehydration. The trick to prevent one from feeling as if one would melt anytime soon is to take some shelter under the shades at least every half-an-hour.

By the way, if I had portrayed Singapore as a very hot country, it isn't quite so. On days when there is breeze and the skies is cloudy, the weather can be very bearable. In fact, lovely. I might have been one of those masochists who insist on going out right under the scorching sun, just to take photographs or to sketch. Bear with me please.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

i am melting as i read this post, though your rewards are obvious. :)