Sunday, August 03, 2008

Week 31 of year 2008 on the double bass

27 Jul 2008, Sun: I worked on a couple of bars from the first movement of Dragonetti's Concerto in A. I think I would need to start practising with the help of the metronome soon. That may help me have a more consistent sense of tempo.

28 Jul 2008, Mon: I continued to work on the same couple of bars from Dragonetti's Concerto in A. I realised I need to have more confidence in myself.

30 Jul 2008, Wed: It was double bass sectional with GM, and sectionals with him just seem so fruitful all the time. The entire sectional was dedicated to working on Rossini's The Thieving Magpie Overture. I like GM's systematic approach to practising. He gave me some very good ideas and tips on how I can practise on my own to overcome the many technical difficulties in the work. I had not thought of approaching my practice in that manner, but after I was being guided to the approach, the approach made good sense. In short, it was to break a difficult passage into many smaller parts and practise. Many thanks to GM for his guidance.

31 Jul 2008, Thu: During double bass lesson with MJ, we worked on Dragonetti's Concerto in A major. The key to playing it well is to control every note it seems. I need to be very observant of the tempo.

**
I didn't practise on 1 Aug and 2 Aug as somehow my fingers felt rather stiff, and I figured that I shall allow them to take some rest. Hopefully I had not overworked them the past few days.

No comments: