Sunday, August 10, 2008

Week 32 of year 2008 on the double bass

3 Aug 2008, Sun: I set aside time to practise selected passages from Rossini's The Thieving Magpie Overture. Those passages were much more technically challenging than they seem. Good practice on those passages would be necessary to help make me master this particular overture.

Afterwhich, I spent some time practising a couple of bars from Dragonetti's Concerto in A major. These bars were even more challenging than the preceding bars probably because they require the player to play at the higher positions. I didn't like my rendition of the bars. Intonation needed refinement and I would prefer a clearer tone. More good practice would be needed.

6 Aug 2008, Wed: Double bass sectional with GM again! It's an enriching sectional although I ended up being the only person. We worked on the Rossini's pieces that are meant to be played during an upcoming concert. I have learnt about some strategies to improve the left and right hand coordination. According to GM, to help the left and right hand to coordinate with each other, it helps to start practising using separate bows. There is much to learn. I played slightly better than the last sectional, but it was still rather challenging to play the Rossini's works.

During the orchestra rehearsal, I find it a challenge to play the Rossini's works at a fast tempo. I need to improve my technical competencies! The good news is that I am improving. Hopefully I would be able to manage playing these works by next month.

7 Aug 2008, Thu: I had double bass lesson with MJ. Finally, I managed to work through the second page of the scores for Dragonetti's Concerto in A major. I still need more work to control every note.

When I moved on working on Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto, I realised the importance of regular practice when I fumbled over the cadenza which I have not been practising for the past two weeks. MJ reminded me and demonstrated for me how being able to control every note would help improve the way my rendition would sound. There's more to be learnt.

9 Aug 2008, Sat: I practised Dragonetti's Concerto in A major. The goal was to remember as much of the parts as possible. I wish I could one day get a better double bass to play on. Meantime, more good practice is needed.

1 comment:

eastcoastlife said...

Any more private performance for me? hehe...

I'm quite free next week... shall we meet for tea?