Monday, January 17, 2005

Performed at the Esplanade Concert Hall at last

Morning, 16 Jan 2005: I reached the Teochew Building just before 11.30 a.m. to help move the instruments to Esplanade Concert Hall. There was about seven of us to help with the transportation of the instruments. Thankfully, Teochew Building has a cargo lift. I can't quite imagine moving instruments with a twisted ankle, using the stairs.

Sometime after noon: The lorries drove us to the Esplanade's loading and unloading bay. This is the first time that I have been to this part of the Esplanade.

1 p.m.: We were told that we could wait at the Artiste's Lounge until it is our turn for the rehearsals. It's quite a cosy looking place. Guess what? It has a personal computer with broad-band facilities. One of my section mates started surfing the internet the moment she sat at the computer area. There are even a vending machine, a television, and a phone in the lounge.

2.30 p.m.: This is the time that we were supposed to have our rehearsals, now at the Esplanade Concert Hall. It is quite an experience to play at the Esplanade Concert Hall, but I have no adjective to describe the experience at this moment. I played on my instrument during the rehearsals, and I have a sense that the acoustics of the Esplanade Concert Hall is better than that of the University Cultural Hall. The hall looks nice too.

We rehearsed the Yellow River Cantata with the rest of the choir. I think the conductor is testing how responsive and alert the orchestra is. I think he has changed the tempo for various parts of the repertoire. The soprano needs to sing a particular note more in tune. But maybe, it is just my ears?

Before 5 p.m.: Rehearsals ended. I wonder why we had to bring forward the rehearsal with the choir from 3 p.m to 2.30 p.m. Anyway, I was rather tired to bother.

Evening: Aside from having a chance to play in the Esplanade Concert Hall, I think the next best thing this concert has offered me is a nice dinner. Dinner tasted nice while hot, other than looking presentable. The dinner was served in packages that looked like those bento packages. It was better than the usual dinner packages that we had in some of the past concerts. If I remember correctly, we had lemon chicken, vegetables, and dofu with rice.

Waiting for our turn: Even though our item was after the interval, and that the performance was to start only at 7.30 p.m. We were asked to be at the backstage by 6.45 p.m. A little early, but then it gives me the excuse to take short naps at the backstage. I was actually feeling rather tired by 6 p.m. when I went out with a few of my section mates to an ice-cream restaurant to chill out. I did not even have the appetite to eat ice-cream. Anyway, I better not. Ice-cream is not an ideal choice before a performance for someone with a sensitive throat.

Backstage: Dinah, my stand partner, was very sweet to give each of us in the section a rose.

On the stage, after the interval: We were told to be seated on the stage at our respective places. The lights that threw on the stage was rather bright and warm, and as a result I felt the temperature of the air-con of the hall was a little too warm. I have this problem, when the hall is warm and the air-con is not cold enough, my sweaty-palms problem shows up. In fact, both my palms were sweating, and I had to make sure that the double bass bow would not slipped off my hand. (Maybe one day, someone could invent a fanning system to dry up the sweaty-palms from the hands of a musician?)

Anyway, I am pleased to say that I have finally performed on the stage of the Esplanade Concert Hall.

After the Schubert's piece, Mr Lim, our orchestra's very own conductor gave us a "thumbs-up" gesture. I wonder if he is trying to be encouraging to us? Anyway, I felt the double bass section sounded a little better for this piece during the concert as compared to during our previous rehearsals.

Yellow River Cantata: Quite a success, we should say. The Cantata was well-received by the audience. I find that we were playing at a slightly faster tempo than usual for several parts of the Cantata. Anyway, I think the choir and the orchestra members gave their best, and that was most important.

I used to like the second and sixth movement of the Cantata before we had rehearsed with the soloists. Then after rehearsing with the choir and soloists, I find that my preference has changed to like the third, fourth and seventh movement.

After concert: It was photo-taking time.

Packing up: To ensure that the double basses are safely loaded up the trucks, a few of the double bassists helped to carry and move the double basses. Our instruments may look large, but can be rather fragile, you see. And the subtitle for this section is a reminder that I shall sign off here.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

sounds like quite an experience! sorry was away from blog cos bz. still like coming in to see you!