Monday, January 10, 2005

Post graduate study?

In my previous blog, I wrote about Cardiff University as a potential choice to consider. I must admit I have yet to do enough research on my side regarding the choices of overseas postgraduate programme available.

On the pragmatic side, it would probably help me be a more effective social worker if I were to sign up for a postgraduate programme in social work. Often I find myself not thinking broad and deep enough on certain social issues when I managed some of my cases, and I am hoping that a postgraduate programme could equip me with the necessary skills and knowledge to think more critically on such issues, so as to make more comprehensive assessments.

At the same time, I fear it would be difficult to keep myself sufficiently motivated throughout the entire course, for somehow, I still feel I am short of a sense of conviction and commitment that would be required to sustain me throughout an entire postgraduate programme in social work.

If I could rationalise my hesitancy, perhaps it was because of a not-so-positive experience working on thesis. I did not have a positive experience trying to work on my thesis when I was doing my Honours programme in social work. I felt I was not leaving up to my own standards doing the thesis, and yet I had no interest to do anything to do well in the thesis either, for half-way my momentum was lost. In the end, I felt unsatisfied with the experience of doing the thesis. It was not fulfilling for me to work on the thesis for the sake of getting it done and securing my honours degree, and not for the sake of the pure joy of learning.

I learnt that a suitable choice of a thesis topic might help, but I have no topic at this point that I would be interested to study in greater depth. Somehow, my perception is that while doing a thesis could be fulfilling, it is also demanding in that it requires good planning to design the study, collect the data, prepare the data for analysis, analyse the data and write the report. I think I still have more to work on to prepare myself to meet the demands of postgraduate study. A clear sense of direction and momentum for postgraduate study seems missing in me and I have been trying to develop it, though not to my satisfaction yet.

In some ways, I acknowledge I am trying hard to make sure history does not repeat itself. Pursuing further education can be fun, and I do wish I could doing whatever reflection and preparation that would be necessary to pave the way of an enjoyable and fulfilling learning experience at the post-graduate level.

Take it as sheer stubborness, I would like to study in Europe. It is my dream to experience the European culture, and if possible, to tour the various museums in Europe while I study in Europe.

To make sure I don't bore myself with too much courses in social work, and to allow me to develop greater depth of knowledge in my areas of interest, my ideal university would be one that allows me to take electives or courses in the area of fine art, ancient history, photography and music. Oh yes, it would be perfect if I could enrol myself in a university that has a symphony orchestra, and to be able to play in the orchestra. That way, I can make sure that my double bass playing does not get 'rusty' while I pursue further studies.

For now, while I have done some work to read up about Cardiff University, my approach to finding a suitable post-graduate programme remains very passive. Maybe I am just waiting for that sense of momentum and conviction to come. Of course, there is probably one school of thought that one should just take actions and not wait passively for things to happen.

Anyway, if you have suggestions of a suitable post-graduate programme that may suit me, you are welcome to drop your comments.

Last but not the least, I thank Lion for his concerns and the comments that he had posted on my previous post.

No comments: