Sunday, May 28, 2006

Laying a foundation

It is a Sunday, and for reasons unknown, the construction site nearby my place of residence did not produce too much noise today. That gave good reason and sufficient peace for yours truly to take time to practice on the double bass.

Still, I have not much heart to practise anything other than scales. Most of today's practice centered around playing a few of the major scales and the minor scales. Yet, after the last practical exams, I have learnt that playing scales are rudiments that are so essential.

To be truthful, there are times when I ask myself if I should just postpone taking the practical exams to another year. Somehow, I felt that some of my own foundation in playing the double bass has not been properly laid as yet. While my playing of the scales have improved, sight-reading the more advanced exercises and works still pose to be a challenge for myself. I still have doubts whether I would be able to pass the aural section. Actually, in my last practical exams, I had only started to going through the aural exercises about less than two months before the actual exams.

A good foundation can bring one to greater heights with greater ease.

Questions keep arising. Should I just give myself more time to lay the foundation? Anyway, how much time would be enough? How does one determine how much skills and foundation will be good enough to move to the next stage? Did I have enough foundation to really move on to take the exams this year?

Sometimes, striking the balance and making the appropriate move do not come easily. At times moving forward is the way to go, and one should just face one's fears and move on. At other times, moving too fast may get one nowaday. What a confusing world that has been made.

Anyway, today's practice went satisfactory.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

just go for it. nothing to lose. good luck!