Saturday, September 15, 2007

Week 37 of year 2007 on the double bass

9 Sep 2007, Sun: After taking some time to urge myself to practise, I fell for the practising spell and was in the mood to practice. I played selected parts of my programme for the upcoming exams. In addition, I had time to play a few studies and did a sight-reading of Giovannino's Sonata in F major. I wonder how it would be like if I decide to pursue further studies in the double bass?

12 Sep 2007, Wed: Prior to the orchestra rehearsal, the strings section rehearsed for the upcoming concert. I recalled Mr G's words, he said even if the double bass parts may seem easy, it has the power like the left little finger of a pianist. Even though the little finger on its own does not do a lot of fanciful thing, it is nevertheless important. As such, I concentrated on playing as part of the ensemble, and on supporting the melody line both during the orchestra rehearsal and the strings section.

13 Sep 2007, Thu: Thank goodness for the double bass lesson. My tutor, MJ, gave me guidance as I worked on Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. In addition, MJ was very kind to allow me to play my entire exams programme. Where needed, he gave me tips on how I could improve on my rendition. I can say that having a tutor to guide me on a regular basis has helped me a lot in improving my playing.

14 Sep 2007, Fri: I was on leave for the day. In the morning, I attempted some sight-reading exercises. Strangely, I could be more productive.

In the afternoon, my friend, SY, was very kind to help me carry a double bass stool for my rehearsal at the venue where I would have my Diploma in Music Performance exams next Tuesday. My dear tutor, MJ, had been very kind to extend his lesson time with me for the day to guide me to improve the rendition. Comparing all the rehearsals that I have had so far, I felt I was playing not quite well for the day. The intonation needed more work and the sense of tempo needed more precision. I started off not too pleased with the tone too. Things got a little better when I get more warmed-up.

J has been very kind and patient with me. I can hear she has put in a lot of effort in the accompaniment, and I greatly appreciate her for her kindness. Her father came today to give support.

SY and J both gave similar comments that I should just enjoy myself in playing the music. I could do that with ease when playing orchestral works that are within my capability, now I have to learn to transfer the same skills when playing solo on the double bass. Maybe I was striving too hard to play the notes accurately that I lose being spontaneous? There is much that I have to learn when it comes to music performance.

I don't know why, I am just feeling touched by the many kind gestures that SY and J has shown to me these years. The best way is to treasure the friendship forged.

15 Sep 2007, Sat: This afternoon, I was playing the double bass at NLB Plaza. A short coverage of the performance can be found here. The turnout for the performance was good. A good friend, SH, who came by to support the concert. I also met a secondary school friend and her family by chance.

During the break before the performance, I attempted to play some passages from Marcello's Sonata in G major and Faure's Sicilienne from memory. Admittedly, I am feeling the jitters and am in need of much encouragement.

1 comment:

Simple American said...

I'm sorry that I am tardy. Instead of encouragement I can only celebrate with you. *hug*