Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Recollections: Experiences with music

JY's post titled: Jack of all trades, master of none - past and current interest (VI) speaks quite a bit about her experiences with music through the years. It tempted me to make a quick attempt to share a bit of mine.

If there are gaps, could I leave you to fill them up with your own imagination?

Meantime, please read it at your own expense. You cannot expect much from an ailing lad, can you?

- As a young child (somewhere between 3 - 6 years old), I vaguely remember playing with a toy piano. I did not play on it regularly. It was not my favourite toy.

- Sometime between age 6 - 8 years old (but I can't remember exactly when), my maternal grandmother rewarded me with an electronic keyboard for doing well in my studies. I remember that I would try to play some familiar tunes on it by ear. Several years later, my younger brother actually went on to take up keyboard lessons. He eventually went on to take up organ lessons and keyboard lessons.

- At age 13, I needed to take up what was known as extra-curricular activities, and I decided to join the Chinese Orchestra. Perhaps because of my taller built, I was recommended to play the double bass. I went along with it. It was one of those instruments that I did not have to buy in order to play. Did not want to strain the family's finances then. I learnt the double bass under the guidance of one of the senior members of the Chinese Orchestra.

It was stressful at the start, for I was expected to learn enough of the instrument in less than half-a-year's time so that I could perform on stage then. In the Chinese orchestra, it was rare for someone who is only Secondary One to have the chance to perform on stage. Maybe my instrument that I had chosen was rare then? I remember spending quite a lot of my time playing in the Chinese Orchestra during my secondary school years.

- Age 19, I joined the university's Symphony Orchestra. I did my mini-research before attending the symphony orchestra's orientation. I was enticed by the idea of having a double bass tutor to guide me along. A week later, I had to sit for an audition in order to gain entry to the orchestra. I won't dare to share with you how many notes I have played out-of-tune in that audition. I was nervous, admittedly.

- I am now learning Grade 6 music theory. Hopefully, I will be prepared to take the Grade 8 Practical exams in double bass in about five months time.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

i'm sure you'll do well. pace yourself from now. *wink*

oceanskies79 said...

SA: Good going as a self-taught drummer.

Misti: Thank you for your kind encouragement.