Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thursday is Music Theory Day

It is nice to know that I was properly taught so as to have my foundation in harmony well laid. After a seemingly arduous study of basic harmony for the past three months, my tutor now starts to get me to attempt Grade 6 past-year exams questions on the topic of harmony.

Compared to what I have previously done for my previous music theory lessons, those Grade 6 past-year exams seemed comparatively easier to do.

I was told that I would soon move on to study on the topics of two-parts writing and melody writing. It seemed that my music theory tutor is an ardent supporter of William Lovelock's works. Previously, he got me to study harmony using William Lovelock's First Year Harmony. Today, he asked me to get two books by William Lovelock too. I am looking forward to learning something new. Sometimes, it is nice to learn things the longer way, but the more effective way.

4 comments:

Waterfall said...

I miss my music theory lessons! I hope you post about how it went today!

Emy said...

hey!

wow ur teacher has taste. lovelock is good. and expensive. =)

pinkie said...

nice to have a good teacher... am sure u r happy doing what you like :)

oceanskies79 said...

SA: When I took up music theory, I have no intention to compose....

Waterfall: The music theory lesson on Thursday was mostly spent doing exercises. My tutor went through the homework I had done. Then he went on to get me to do Grade 6 exercises and harmonising.

Emily: Lovelock's books are expensive.

Pinkie: =) Hopefully, an appreciation of music theory would help me be a better player.