Friday, April 14, 2006

Two part Writing

My music theory lesson has progressed from four-parts writing to two-parts writing. It seems like my tutor is an avid supporter of music theory instructional books written by William Lovelock.

According to Chapter Two of William Lovelock's Two Part Writin, the essential approach to two-part work is similar to that for writing three or four parts. However, certain modifications are often preferred to compensate for the absence of the inner parts.

If I understood correctly, the perfect fifth interval between the two parts is less desirable in two parts writing because it often may sound bare. One thing that came to my mind is that I have not much clue how that bareness would sound like. How does bareness sound like?

***

Last night, I heard from my tutor that ABRSM will be awarding 50 pounds to students who have obtained a distinction in Grade 6, Grade 7 and Grade 8 music theory. I am not fully certain of the credibility of this information, but it seemed believable. Maybe we could infer that music theory is deemed as important as practical musicianship?

1 comment:

Emy said...

its true!

the 50 pounds would cover for your exam fees actually!

its quite a hassle getting the $$ over though...