Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A day away from office

My legs have aching and feeling tired since the weekend. Now, even the rest of my body are aching. But the day was a fulfilling one.

I took a day of leave from work today. In the morning, I went for a heritage walk and in the afternoon, I had my first double bass lesson with MJ.

If you have read my earlier post, I do dread bringing the double bass out of home. I had to do so this afternoon, but it did prove worthwhile. The tutor demonstrated using my instrument and highlighted to me areas where my double bass had differed from a standard double bass. He pointed out that the neck of my husband was flatter than normal. Hopefully with some practise, I could find ways to compensate for that. Even the location of the harmonics differed slightly from the standards, with reference made to the end of the fingerboard.

During the lesson, MJ gave pointers on how I could improve my overall posture. In addition, I finally could understand where those harmonics are located on the double bass. After having been guided on the fingerings for Alan Ridout's Concerto for Double Bass and Strings, I think what I need is now practice, and the time to practice.

Now I am aching all over, but I am a little more confident that I will be on the right track when it comes to playing the selected contemporary work for the music exams.

4 comments:

oceanskies79 said...

Not quite. The boyfriend is a property of the orchestra that I play in, and I would have to go through some clearance before I could loan it out for my private lessons. Anyway, I would most probably use my husband for the exams.

oceanskies79 said...

I actually had to take my husband out of home today for the private double bass lessons.

goldilocks said...

that's fulfilling =)

Marc said...

Great to hear that you've had a well-spent and fulfilling day. Am sure in time to come, you'll know your husband even better than the back of your hand