Thursday, June 01, 2006

Suspensions

After taking three weeks of break from music theory classes, I resumed music theory class this evening.

**
Before the class, I decided to have Japanese food for dinner. If you have been my regular reader, you might have guessed where I have decided to visit for dinner this evening. There's one place for value-added Japanese food in Toa Payoh.

I happen to get into a conversation with one of the personnel of the food outlet, and I was told that the art of making sushi demands greater level of skills than that of preparing sashimi. I have never thought of things this way, but after much thought over what was shared, it did make some sense. The next time when I were to eat sushi, I may experience the sushi from a different way.

**
Back to theory class, today's class was on the topic of Suspension.I had read the chapter on my own before the class. It proved to be challenging when I got to the latter half of the chapter. What on Earth is skeletonising?

My music theory tutor went through the chapter on Suspension with me during the lesson. He said it would be easily to start by reading William Lovelock's First Year Harmony than Two-Part Writing by the same author. Then skeletonising did not seem as difficult as it had seem to. Having a tutor to give the pointers and to explain the concepts seem to make the learning easier than if I were to study on my own.

Maybe it is implying that one doesn't have to solve all of one's problems on one's own?

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

..."one doesn't have to solve all of one's problems on one's own.."

interesting concept, wish i had the luxury of that though.

Jammie J. said...

sometimes it helps to have someone alongside you, for sure. puts things in perspective.