Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dali Dali


Surrealist Piano, Bronze, by Salvador Dali, Edition No: 1/8


Does anyone here know who Salvador Dali is?

I took art history lessons in my Secondary school years, and I recall learning that Salvador Dali is an artist who is closely associated with the Surrealist art movement. I do not personally adore his works, but I don't have anything against his works either. I prefer some of his sculptures to his paintings. It appears to me that the best way to understand Salvador Dali's works is to understand his approach and philosophy towards life, which I personally know very limited about.

Anyway, for those who wish to know, the above photo was taken at Boat Quay, There are now a series of works by Salvador Dali being displayed right her as part of the Dali in Singapore exhibition organised by Opera Gallery, held from 14 Sep to 14 Oct 2006. You may also find sculptures and paintings by Dali at the following places during the given period: Wheelock Place, Ngee Ann City, Capital Towers, and Opera Gallery.

How did I know all these? Oh, I read these from the plaque that was found on the base of the Surrealist Piano. Look closely at the legs of the piano. Do you see that these legs wear high heels?

**
By the way, Melvin Ryan Tan has written a post on Youth.sg on the Dali in Singapore exhibition, you can check his post here.

2 comments:

pinkie said...

hmm.. I dunno this guy.. and I didn't know that secondary schools conduct art history lesson...

oceanskies79 said...

SA: Sounds like Salvador Dali is no stranger to the folks in US.

Pinkie: Eh...I took higher art, or what is commonly known as Art Elective Programme during secondary school.

Come to think of it, I am very glad that art history was taught (although it can be quite tedious to study for art history). It gave me better insights on how art develops over time.