Thursday, October 05, 2006

The sound of the double bass is therapeutic

This evening, I had double bass lesson with my tutor, MJ. We spent the first part of the lesson on right-hand technique. He gave me a task for this week's assignment. It is to play an exercise fairly similar to playing the G Major scale, but in the following manner:

Play the following notes, with the bow direction "as it comes":
G-d-G-A-d-A-B-d-B-C-d-C ...etc (d - open d string)(G - open G string)
(Is this the way to write the notations?)

At first sight, when I saw MJ doing the demonstration, it looked pretty easy. When I tried playing it, I realised that my mind became confused after playing this way. However, accordingly to MJ, such exerises can help in the right-hand coordination. I trust him on this.

The next part of the double bass lesson continued with working on the Marcello's Sonata in g minor. I spent some time playing the first movement but more time was spent playing the second movement. I can clearly hear that my rendition of the second movement today is much better than my rendition of it during my exams. MJ demonstrated and sang to me how I can play this movement more musically so that the melody lines can be clearly heard and understood. It felt satisfying to be able to bring my proficiency of playing to a greater height. Not just technically, but musically.

I have been working on the Marcello's Sonata in g minor for more than two months. I am having the thoughts of organising an informal recital where I can perform the Marcello's Sonata in g minor. Then again, even if I do get a piano-accompanist to play with me, I would like to work on my sense of tempo first before even thinking about having a recital. I admit my tempo fluctuated inappropriately when I was playing the first movement of the sonata. MJ reminded me to be mindful about keeping time.

After the double bass lesson, I could remember feeling a sense of inner peace and comfort in me. The sound of the double bass still rang in my ear. I could remember how heart-warming it felt to feel the vibrations of the double bass. The whole experience felt therapeutic. Not that it stopped me from coughing; It just felt as if it was gently re-energizing me from some of the drained feeling that I get from the recent bout of poor health. This has brought some relief.

3 comments:

Emy said...

yes lets have a recital. i want to play too! =)

mistipurple said...

your cure is 'being one with your double bass'.
glad something helps.

oceanskies79 said...

Emily: Thanks. Would be fun, it sounds.

SA: Thanks.

Misti: It helps a bit.