Monday, October 11, 2004

Infection. Again.

Sigh. I am down with infection again! The right side of my lower jaw has been swelling. It has been 4 weeks since my wisdom teeth removal, and it started swelling yesterday. Perhaps it has been swelling a few days earlier than that, but I had only noticed the swell yesterday.

I am not too sure if the swell could be attributed to my attempts to chew on the regular food. I have been on soft diet for 3 weeks after my wisdom teeth removal even though my dentist assured that I could go back to regular food from the sixth day after the removal. I guessed even if I could be faulted to be a little paranoid, I would rather go on soft diet for a few more days because it is admittedly harder to brush certain areas. But a week ago, my cautious side gave way. I went back to regular food now and then.

Today, I went to visit my dentist after work. My dentist told me the infection is likely a result of the fermentation of bits of food which got themselves stuck in the cavity of my jaw where my lower right wisdom tooth used to sit. He said there was pus when he had tried to inject the anaesthestic. He helped clear the pus. I am glad and relieved that the pus has been cleared. And now, I am once again on a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.

My dentist shared with me how to clean the affected area so as to reduce the chance of another infection. I hope I won't have to go through another infection anytime soon. It just doesn't feel nice to be ill.

I suppose it is at those times when one is not at a good health that one appreciates the value of health. At other times, I think I would have taken health quite for granted. Maybe I must learn to internalise the maxim that health is precious.

No comments: