Friday, October 08, 2004

Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto, Live!

It is a pleasure to listen to the Singapore Symphony Orchestra play the Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto this evening. The best thing is that it is a live concert!

Playing on the piano for the concerto this evening is Dmitri Alexeev. While I wish the sound of the piano could be a little louder in volume so as to penetrate clearly through the sounds of the orchestra, I should say I pretty enjoyed the pianist's rendition of the Piano Concerto. Somehow, I have a special liking for this piano concerto. Perhaps this could partly be attributed to my positive experience playing this piano concerto with the NUS Symphony Orchestra and Maestro Konstanti Scherbakov. It is so fabulous to listen to this concerto live, I must say. A live version beats the recordings, in my humble opinion.

Somehow, I ain't sure if it is an issue of personal preference, I did not enjoy the Shostakovich's Symphony No 5. in D minor that was also featured in the same concert. Perhaps I don't quite know how to relate to this particular piece of symphony. Whatever it is, I am glad that I have caught the Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto live.

2 comments:

Goat Almighty said...

this is insane i know, me responding to your old posts and all.

just like to say that i've always wanted to catch an orchestra performance. never got around to it.

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Mr Loobz. Thanks for taking time to read my old posts and for responding.

What kind of orchestral music would you prefer? I found it helpful to attend the pre-concert talks that SSO has before its concerts. That helps me appreciate the music better.