Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Penang: Pearl of the Orient

One of my good friends and I are planning for a trip to Penang later this year. I am looking forward to it. Perhaps with me tied down to work of late, I am looking forward to have a recharging vacation there. The trip is also meant to celebrate my pal's entry into the first quarter of a century. Hopefully, this will be a pleasant entry into the next phase of life for my pal.

Partly because I am largely visually-inclined, I had made sure that a map of Penang was purchased to help with navigation. Truly, I hope the map could have been more comprehensive. There wasn't much details about how to get places beyond Georgetown, capital of Penang. Maybe it would be nice if I could find a more comprehensive map there. But Alas, it is likely to be in Malay language, and then, it means that I will need to a Malay-English dictionary to help with the translation.

I wonder where are the good spots to go to when one is in Penang. My first instincts will be to check out the museums there. I heard that the Penang Hill is worth a visit too. Articles on Penang also seem to suggest that Penang is famous for its local cuisine, and one should not leave Penang without having sample some of these cuisines.

I shall invite the Bloggers community and all readers of this post who have been to Penang, or have sufficient knowledge about Penang to be contributors. Could you please help contribute some ideas about where could be worthwhile landmarks to visit in Penang? You are also welcome to contribute information about Penang that would be helpful in the planning of this trip of mine. Thank you very much for your attention and contributions.

No comments: