Monday, June 06, 2005

Plans to visit London

I have plans to visit London after my trip to Aberdeen. I wish to visit the British Museum.

I heard from one of my friends that August will be a busy month where many of the hostels in London would be occupied. As such, it would be important to make reservations early if I were to stay in a hostel. Yet, I am not sure if I would like hostel environment. I don't know how to find one that offers private single room. So I could only be very thankful that my friend has kindly forwarded me links to several hostels so that I could do my own research and follow-up.

Hotels would be nice, yet they appear to be luxuries. Given the exchange rates, what may seem affordable to a UK resident would be considered about thrice more expensive for myself. I checked up XE.com - The universal currency converter, and found that the current exchange rate is such that 1 United Kingdom Pounds is equivalent to about 3.023 Singapore dollars.

At Aberdeen, I understand that we would probably be taking accomodations at the University of Aberdeen's hostel. The daily rate per person is approximately 30 pounds. This package for each person includes accomodation in a single room at the hostel during the period of the Festival, and three meals a day. I understand that the package also includes the coach transfers.

The more decent hotels I could happily accept costs about close to 80 pounds per day for a single room with breakfast included. I am hoping for a room with bathroom and basic toilet facilities. After sharing common bathrooms and toilets at Aberdeen, I would hope to have more privacy in London. The only question is whether I really need to insist on a hotel room with such facilities. Maybe the question would be whether I really need to pamper myself? Anyway, comparatively, we could see that lodging in a hostel may be less expensive than in a hotel. I might end up burning a big hole in my pocket after my short three days stay in London. Then the sadder part would be that I would need to save up harder to realise my wishes for further education overseas and hopefully, a better double bass and a double bass bow.

Of course, I have heard of stories whereby hostels can be noisy and hold little room for privacy. Please remember I am an introvert, and I needed a lot of quiet time. Such stories give me a little concern over staying in a hostel. I guess looking for a hostel that offers single room and a relatively safe and peaceful environment may help ease me from those feelings that give me some creeps?

I am a little undecided. Meantime, I would need to find reliable information to aid in my decision. I would appreciate your input if you have any. Thanks in advance.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visit the Tate modern. Oh, and jump on the Eurostar and go to Calais, France. I'll pick you up over there and treat you to some sightseeing and you can live like a God in France.

I'm serious. Contact me if you're up for it.

Anonymous said...

Oh oh and visit the Porterhouse for genuine Irish beer. You see, stout (like Guinness) actually originated in London, so it's a must see (and drink).

Btw: I put your link up on my blog.

Emrah said...

Hey, Pei Yun. great to hear that you'll give a visit to London. As a weekly visitor to that city, I can recommend a few thing while you start dealing with accomodation matters.

1- A universal rule: The earlier you book a room, the cheaper it is.
2- London is very very expensive. So, wherever you stay, you may question if that place is worth paying that much money.
3- London is divided into six travel zones, Zone 1 referring to central London, and then each following number encircling the preceding one. So, the hotel you choose should be in the first two zones.
4- Some regions are touristically very busy, such as King's Cross-St. Pancras. Thus, it is not unusual to find cheaper hotels around for a few day visit. But honestly, they are really low quality.

Emrah said...

5- Bayswater would be a good choice for accommodation. It is a very vivid place, inhabitated mainly by Greek community. It is in Zone 1. Life is pretty vivid there, so that even if you turn late in the dark, you can feel safe as there are people walking alone even at 1am.
6- Transportation is easy in London. However, you should make a daily programme first, i.e. which places to visit. Then you can decide which type of ticket you purchase as there are more than a few alternatives.
7- I guess you will mainly use the underground. A one-way ticket costs you £2.00 within Zones 1-2, and a return ticket £2.50. [The fares differs in accordance with the zones]. Bus fares are £1.20. However, what I would suggest is to purchase a day travel card, which costs you £4.70 [for Zones 1-2] and lets you utilise from all kinds of transportation including tube, innercity trains and buses.

Emrah said...

8- However, be aware that if you buy a DAY TRAVELCARD on the weekday [Monday-Friday], you should purchase it after 9.30am to purchase it as the peak time is over. The peak time fare is more expensive for any type of tickets, £6.00 for Day Travelcard. After 09.30, it drops to £4.70.
9- If both Saturday and Sunday are included in your visiting period, you can purchase a WEEKEND TRAVELCARD which would be more economic.
10- back to accomodation issue... Just check this link. It sounds not bad. http://www.booktravelnstay.com/central-london-hotels/leisure_inn-Hotels.html
The thing is that since London is a very old city, most of the medium-sized hotels are ex-houses adjacent to each other and converted into hotels later. So that, they are old! You'd recognise that once you arrive.
11- How will you travel to London from Aberdeen?
If by train, check www.nationalrail.co.uk and PLAN YOUR OWN JOURNEY. As far as I know, there are direct train services of 7-hour long. If you purchase if at least 72 hours before your journey, a single ticket would cost you between £39.00-41.00. [If you need to purchase a return ticket, don't worry, the price does not double, but increases slightly.]
Instead, to save from time, you may also prefer to search for cheap plane tickets offered by local companies.

Just ask me if you any further questions. once you have decided where to stay, I can confirm the whereabouts is a good place or not.
There should be many things to say...

London is a wonderful city and deserves to be discovered. :-)

Emrah said...

And finally, if you really want to see everything in British Museum, you need at least a few days. So, if you go there, first decide which sections you wanna see [such as Mesopotamia or Africa or Far East, etc.] Meanwhile... All museums in London are admission free! You should also visit National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery. To have a [relatively] cheap concert activity, you can purchase a ticket to the St.Martins-in-the-fields

oceanskies79 said...

Hi everyone (especially Emrah), thank you very very much for your help. I will look through your comments in greater depth when I am back home after work.

I hope to stay near the British Museum so that I can have convenient access to visit it everyday.

goldilocks said...

Hi,

I can lend you lonely planet's guidebook on Britain. let me know when you would like to collect it