Monday, September 27, 2004

How to comfort yourself when you are ill?

I realised I have yet to write an article that could be deemed as being interactive, so this is an attempt to do so.

Personally speaking, I feel it is often quite hard for me to operate at my optimal when I am feeling ill. For the past few days, I haven't been feeling well. As such, I realised my thinking gets a little slurred at times, especially when it comes to making decision. Sounds that were usually tolerable start to feel like nuisance. I start to feel tired more easily and have no mood to talk unless necessary.

I went to the doctor today, and the diagnosis was that I have UTI. Temporary condition, and now I have to be put on a course of antibotics. I feel relieved to know the condition isn't a chronic illness, but at the same time, I feel dispirited: it doesn't feel nice to be sick.

I noticed it helps to relieve the discomfort from the illness (more so psychologically) a little if I could comfort myself and say these words to myself "It will be fine. I will be alright....", and so forth. The discomfort becomes more bearable. I also feel better if I gave myself a gentle pat on the arms.

It also helps when I give myself the permission to slow down a bit when I am feeling ill. The comfort comes because I will then tend to subject myself to lesser of the hassle and bustle of everyday's life.

Now, I have finished writing what I have to say, I would like to ask you for your responses to my question: How do you comfort yourself when you are ill?, or rephrase, How do you help yourself to feel a little better when you are feeling ill?

Meantime, please take good care. Health is precious.

1 comment:

Goat Almighty said...

when i feel ill, i'd eat anything i can get my hands on.