Friday, September 17, 2004

Writing frees people with preference for Introversion to express

Please excuse me if you should disagree with the above title. I wrote this article purely from my own personal point of view.

For those of you who are familiar with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), you would probably understand what I meant by "People with preference for Introversion". And please do not worry if you have yet to be acquainted with MBTI. I shall make an attempt to explain some of the characteristics of "People with preference for Introversion". And then, for those of you who are interested to find out more about MBTI, you could refer to these websites for more information: http://www.capt.org/The_MBTI_Instrument/Overview.cfm, http://www.personalitypathways.com/MBTI_intro.html

Characteristics of People with Preference for Introversion
Alright, please bear with me for my short coverage of the key characteristics of "People with preference for Introversion".

People who prefer Introversion tend to be attracted to the inner world of thoughts, feelings and reflections. They tend to have to make an effort to meet new people. They tend to be perceived by others to be quiet, reserved and hard to get to know. Very often, people who prefer introversion tend to become drained more easily with people (particularly strangers). They often tend to need more time to gather their thoughts before speaking. They tend to reflect and think before acting.

Of course, please allow me to qualify that based on the Jungian Theory which the MBTI was based on, everyone of us do "extraverted" and "introverted" things. It is just that we do not do them equally well. Each of us has a preference for one over the other.

If you are interested to know your MBTI profile, you could check out: http://www.asianicpsych.com.au/dev_assess.html. There is a fee for the assessment though. Yours truly also happens to be MBTI Accredited, but I shall not attempt to advertise here.

Writing frees people with preference for Introversion to express
Please allow me to get back to the main topic of this article. I shall declare that I am a person with a preference for Introversion. In my younger years, before I am aware of this, I had often struggled why it was so hard for me to tell people all that was going through my mind. There was thousand and one or more things being processed in my mind, but I often feel this need to think through and only say what is absolutely necessary. In the end, I probably end up saying only a mere less than 10% of what went through my mind. So, I used to think there could be something wrong with me! Then I got to find out, that it is just because people are different. Some people prefer Extroversion, and others (like myself) prefer Introversion. What a relief to know this!

Talking my thoughts out and making small talks are certainly not my forte. Though I must say, I could do them if I am willing to risk feeling drained after the whole affair.

However, strangely, as opposed to talking, writing gives me the freedom and the space to express the many thoughts that are going on in my mind. Many of my friends has given me feedback that I am clearly more expressive when I write than when I talk. I also take comfort that I type reasonably fast, though my writing can prove a little illegible at times if I only intend to write for myself.

I suppose space is what people with preference for Introversion greatly appreciate. Writing allows one the space to think through before putting words down. For people who are visual like myself, it is definitely more assuring to see what one has communicated in writing, than to attempt to visual what one has spoken.

Do you happen to have similar experiences like myself? As in, that you find yourself more able to express yourself better and more freely when writing than speaking? You are welcome to share your experiences through your comments.

And then I shall conclude by saying that every one has his/ her own gifts. People with preference for Extraversion have their sets of gifts, so do people with preference for Introversion. Maybe it is worth the effort to take pride in whom you are. One needn't pray to be someone else. Just be oneself.

Somehow, this quote came to my mind, let me share it with you before I close this article. Have a pleasant day, and happy writing.

There is a vitality, life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.

-MARTHA GRAHAM, quoted by Agnes DeMille,
Martha: The Life and Work of Martha Graham

No comments: