Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Eve and Day

Yours truly has been feeling tired on Christmas Eve, and that I had no programme whatsoever for the Christmas eve. It was gracious of my organisation to grant us half-day work on Christmas eve, so myself and my colleagues are knocked off from work by early afternoon.

I had wanted to go to Botanic Gardens on Christmas eve's afternoon. Then, it proved not quite a good idea because the sun was scorchingly hot and very bright on Christmas eve's afternoon. Furthermore, when I noticed how crowded the trains were when I was taking a Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) train towards Orchard Road, I came to conclusion that I would be happier if I were to shelf my plans to go to the Botanic Gardens aside. So I did not go to Botanic Gardens eventually.

When I got home, I received an email from the coordinator of the Pen-pal Project which I am taking part in. My pen-pal has received my mail just recently, and he was excited. I'm happy to have cheered someone's day with a mail. I wonder what exactly had made him excited? Was it the map of Singapore that I had included with my letter? Or was it the picture of Esplanade - Theatres by the Bay that I had drawn in my letter?

I had wanted to practise on the double bass, but I was too tired to practise on Christmas Eve. Instead, I spent time listening to an album by The Carpenters.

I am glad that I did not go to Orchard Road or town area on Christmas Eve. I saw on the news over the television how crowded those places were on Christmas Eve. My cousin was at Orchard Road on Christmas Eve. He told to me this morning that there was practically no public transport available from Orchard Road on Christmas Eve. So my poor cousin had no means to return home last night, and had to spend the entire night and dawn at Orchard Road, without taking a single wink.

On Christmas Day, I woke up slightly later than usual. Feeling a strong sense of mission to find something special for my good friend's birthday, I decided to go to Orchard Road to buy a birthday gift for her. Many shops were closed on Christmas Day, anyway, the shop that I had in mind to get the gift from was opened, so I shall count this as a blessing. It took me a while to select a gift which I thought might be suitable. Now, I just hope my friend would like it. Buying earrings aren't quite my cup of tea, really. Strictly speaking, yours truly has yet to buy any jewellery for myself. (Though I have learnt some basic ideas how to make certain kinds of jewellery and to design them.) Most of the jewellery you see on me are gifts from my grandmother, mother or others. And personally, it does not get me excited to receive jewelleries as gifts. But I think my friend shall be happy with the earrings I have gotten for her, I keep my fingers crossed.

For now, I shall end this post soon. My grandmother will be coming to my home to have lunch with us. So I have to get away from the monitor and keyboard, and help with some of the preparations. Meantime, have a Merry Christmas.

No comments: