Saturday, December 11, 2004

Playing breathes some life into me

It has almost been a boring, lifeless day for me. Today is a non-working Saturday for me. I have been feeling too tired to wish to travel to some of my favourite places in Singapore, so most of my day was spent sleeping, staring in the air, surfing the internet at home, and taking some time out of my flat to have lunch and dinner. How unfascinating a day!

Just a moment ago, I decided I shall play on the double bass anyway. It did prove to take quite a while to set it up and tune it, prior to the actual playing. Anyway, I managed to coax myself into go through all these hassles and before I know it, I was playing on the double bass.

My double bass must have known that I have been feeling rather lifeless, so it surprised me with a rather warm sound, which is surprisingly produced considering that the player was so lifeless.

I played scales, one octave, and that as usual allowed me to complete all the scales listed on the Grade 5 scales book. This one octave scales playing is quite useful to help get me started on scales. I have mistipurple to thank.

I played some other tunes, and wished my pitching could have been better. Anyway, for the evening, the double bass was not an object to demonstrate my showmanship and musicality; it was my friend that was there to allow me to pour my woes and anguish on. And somehow, playing on my dear double bass has breathed some life into me. A miracle that a non-living instrument could create. Then again, it is as good as a living friend to me. A friend who will unconditionally be there for me, and so kind to bear all that reckless and insane playing from me. I wished I have something nice to give back to my dear double bass: lovely music to show it off. But I fear, I have yet any.

No comments: