Tuesday, February 15, 2005

60th Anniversary of the end of WWII

Singapore is commemorating the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II. Times have past and it has been 60 years since the end of the Japanese Occupation in Singapore. I have came across a website about how Singapore is commerating this special anniversary: http://www.visitsingapore.com/WWII/

Earlier this morning, I understand that a memorial service has taken place at the War Memorial Park.

It looks like there are going to be several interesting events and activities lining up later this year to commemorate the special anniversary. I am quite looking forward to opening of the Labrador Tunnels at Labrador Park. For some reasons, I have developed an interest in WWII history that involved this part of the world.

If you are in Singapore and wish to go for one of the tours, I will strongly recommend that you go for The Battlefield Tour and the Changi World War II. I have attended these tours and I can say that they are enjoyable and very informative. The materials that the tour guides share are very well-researched, and are well-presented in ways that are fit even for the lay-person.

Meantime, I shall keep my fingers crossed that I will get a chance to visit the real Changi Murals. I have been wanting to visit, but the place is hardly opened to the public. In fact, it is a restricted area and I remember that permission from the Singapore Armed Forces has to be sought before one could visit the murals. The next thing is that if it were to be opened to the public, that would usually be a regular working day during working hours. I hope my leave application would be approved when the place is opened to the public.

For now, do check out http://www.visitsingapore.com/WWII/

No comments: