Friday, February 04, 2005

Symphonic Treats

After the session with the six students, it was already close to 2.30 p.m. I was supposed to take time-off in the afternoon, so I decided to go straight for home from the school after the session. I took a nap at home. It helped got rid of the headaches, and helped me feel a little more recharged. Thank goodness.

Then, after having some rest at home, I proceeded to meet my friend Mystic. We were meeting to have dinner and then catch a concert together. It was a concert by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra.

The programme for the concert was as follow:

  • FELIX MENDELSSOHN's The Hebrides, Op. 26 "Fingal's Cave"
  • FRANZ SCHUBERT's Symphony No. 2 in B-flat majob, D. 125
  • LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN's Symphony No. 6 n F major, Op. 68 "Pastoral"

Mystic and myself like The Hebrides. Mystic, however did not quite appreciate the rest of the concert. She claimed she had an overdose of the music. Probably, it could also have been the result of her being overworked at her office that her mind could not take in much music after The Hebrides.

I did not like the orchestra's rendition of the Schubert's Symphony No. 2. I think I would have fallen asleep during that piece if not for my nice afternoon nap. Thank goodness, my nap has helped recharged me and kept me alert enough to find something nice to listen out for in the Schubert's Symphony. I quite like the 2nd and 4th movement of the symphony. The orchestra sounded comparatively more focused and coherent for these movements.

The Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 was pretty nice to listen to. I think it's quite a good composition. The playing by the orchestra this evening was fairly good, acceptable though not brilliant. Anyway, I was quite delighted to listen to the symphony.

Lastly, I thank Mystic for accepting my invitation to this concert, and for listening to it with me.

No comments: