Sunday, November 27, 2005

Noises, please silence yourself

I prefer quiet places with lots of spaces. Lately, I have been put to a test. Just a few days ago, there was a huge trade fair that started operations very near the residential building that I am living in.

This trade fair is temporary, but it will be around for at least a month, until just after Christmas. Every night, the trade fair seems to come alive. In the morning, most of the stalls may not be ready for business. When afternoon comes, the temporary site gets livelier. Then after 7 p.m., it gets very crowded.

The thing is sound travels up, and so I could hear the sounds from the many speakers that are placed in the site of the fair pretty clearly. This is so especially because I live in a flat unit pretty high above ground level. I am just trying hard to ignore the background music. Gosh, I could only hope for midnight to come and then the noises will quieten down.

What an intrusion that I have to bear with. I have to tell myself that this is only temporary.

And about the crowd, like I have said, it can get very crowded by 7 p.m. I need space and at the sight of a congested pathway, I will do whatever is within my means to detour.

I wish that the person who had planned the layout of the site of the fair could have planned it such that the walkways at the edges of the site could remain as wide as it had used to be so that people who do not wish to visit the fair could walk easily past it. Every night since the fair has started, I have to make detours (and that means going into the site of the fair) in order to walk home from the MRT station without being stuck in the crowd.

At times like this, I can appreciate that silence is golden. Space is valued.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

o dear, it does sound like a long period of 'non-silence' for you. perhaps playing music might distract some of the noise.