Thursday, November 24, 2005

Theory Lesson

Today marks my first formal individual theory lesson.

I don't know know why, but I felt pretty drained and stiff after the work day. My lesson was held in this area which I would refer to as Toa Payoh Central. I saw sculptures by the local sculptor, Ng Eng Teng, and was tempted to take a photograph. In the end, that tired feeling won over and I didn't.

Toa Payoh Central has changed quite a bit. I have been to Toa Payoh Central a few weeks ago, but I had not roamed to that part of Toa Payoh Central that is near the library. The last that I have been to that part of Toa Payoh Central was probably about a year ago.

I was early for my lesson and decided to wait at the benches of the music school for my lesson to start.

***
My tutor was K.. It must have been customary for the tutor to start the lesson by seeking to understand the student's background in music. That took a couple of minutes.

Theory lesson felt good overall. I got to revise notes Music Theory Grade One before going on to learn about Baroque music. There were some learnings. It is fun to learn.

Now, I have the task of looking for two books which were not available at the music school. K. said that he will be teaching me harmony for my classes, and I am looking forward to this.

The theory lesson helps break the routine a little. It did help bring some life to a soul that has been feeling a little down lately.

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

happy to hear that your first lesson turned out alright. :)

mistipurple said...

of course transpositions would appeal to simple american. they're like mathematics. :p

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Misti and Simple American.

oh I didn't know Simple American like music theory.

Emy said...

hey! glad you liked theory lesson, next time we can do harmony exercises together! I suck at it too. btw, did you dig up on ur teacher's background?