Sunday, May 22, 2005

Aberdeen International Youth Festival

I have mentioned in my earlier post that I will be participating in the Aberdeen International Youth Festival this coming August with the orchestra.

Since I hold a full-time job, I have to take leave from my job for the event. If you think I would be paid to play in the Aberdeen Internation Youth Festival, then you will find yourself wrong. In turn, I would have to pay for my own airfares and accomodation. Then again, I guess the relatively affordable accomodation rates for participants and the thought of playing some of my favourite music had entice me to register to participate in the event.

My main woes will be that I do not know what kind of double bass I would lay my hands on when I get there. We will rent the double basses there at Aberdeen. Four of them. I have no idea what kind of double basses we would get. A well set-up double bass will be easier to play, but I fear getting an instrument otherwise.

Apparently, it would costs a lot to transport a double bass there. Ideally, we should buy a $2000 flight case (since we have no flight case for the double bass) for each double bass, and then insure each well enough. Also I expect that there will be heavy taxes because double basses on flight cases can prove to be bulky and heavy. Then we have to figure out how to clear the customs and load the double bass safely onto the plane.

For some, I know they will buy a seat on the flight for the double bass. Of course, it means that the relevant people from the crew must know how to strap the double bass onto the flight seat. I read somewhere that the recommended way is to turn the double bass upside down so that the scroll will touch the floor, and then strap it to the seat. Supposedly, the neck of the double bass is one of the strongest parts of the double bass.

Enough about my woes over the instrument issues. I shall write briefly about my plans to take photographs during my trip. Since yours truly is quite into taking photographs of sceneries and landscapes, I shall do my best to reward your eyes with the sceneries of Aberdeen (and maybe other parts of the United Kingdom, if I ever get the chance to visit) when I am there. This is provided that my camera works throughout the entire course of my trip there. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that my photography tools would stay in good working condition for the entire trip.

A few friends have asked me to take photographs of people (for example when we are at the concert hall and so forth). I shall try, but no promise. I think I might just get carried away with the sceneries. Anyway, a few of my colleagues complained that when I take photographs of people, I was more interested in capturing a beautiful background!!! I cannot help but say that capturing sceneries of landscapes entice me more than capturing images of people, so there is some likelihood that I would prefer to put my focus on getting the best of the sceneries.

To help prepare for the trip, I would be doing some research of Aberdeen. Maybe this is a characteristic of people with the personality profile of INFJ to research about the places that they would be visiting?

Anyway, if it does not bore my readers, I shall be glad to share a bit of my findings on this blog. I welcome your contributions if you have something to share about Aberdeen.

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

i shall see aberdeen through your eyes. thanks again for bringing me places.

crazycat said...

i will be looking forward to those pics!! have a good time and hope u get a good double bass there! :)

Jammie J. said...

I prepare for trips out to wazoo and back (as in a lot of preparation). One would think I were going to write a book for tourists or something. I'm afraid of something going wrong, or being unprepared, I think. So, the more preparation I do, the less chance of that there is.

Lists and more lists is my motto.

Of course, I am INFJ, tho.

Lora said...

I gather it is very much an INFJ trip to research thier trips and then to try to maximize their experience while away, often leaving themselves in nedd of a vacation from their vacation.