Monday, May 23, 2005

When I can't get to sleep

I am feeling tired but I could not sleep. So I shall play music from the compilation album of Carpenter's music. The track that is playing right now is Yesterday Once More.

Music should soothe. I love the melancholic tunes. I found them easier to relate to.

It is regretful that such talented people like Karen Carpenter had to die young. But her voice and persona shall live on, in our memories.

And since I am at the topic of "When I can't get to sleep", I shall list down some of the things that I would do if I cannot put myself to sleep. Here goes (not in order of preference):
  • Play the double bass (though not late at night, or else I would need to use a practising mute.)
  • Read a book
  • Write, keep writing (blogging is a form of writing)
  • Listen to music, usually melancholic tunes
  • Sing to the music
  • Watch TV and flood my senses
  • Toss about the bed and try to sleep, but find that I can't
  • Surf the internet
  • Sketch whatever comes to mind
  • Look out of my window, out into the darkness of the night
  • Chat with friends on MSN or ICQ
  • Let my thoughts overflow
  • Start to feel irritated that I cannot sleep! (especially when I am very tired)
I would be interested to know what my readers would do when he/ she cannot get to sleep. Your contributions are welcome.

7 comments:

pinkie said...

Reading a book helps me...

Unknown said...

hey.. nice blog!

usually, if I can't sleep, it's cos I'm troubled, and I just toss and turn, and think more and more, and it's all a downward spiral from there..

I usually blog for a while, or take a swig from the whiskey bottle.. but neither really helps..

Lora said...

I frequently have problems sleeping. But I find good sleep habits have improved things. I don't even get into bed unless I feel tired and relaxed enough to sleep. That means I need to stay away from the computer and the TV, because they just wind me up.
A bath and a book usually do wonders or I'll sit on my couch and write or drawn in my journal, before I know it I'm yawning away.

Lora said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mistipurple said...

well, i don't call myself the 'night owl' or 'night stalker' for nothing..
for now, i just visit blogs and other sites which concern my work, till my eyes, and mind, grows tired. i don't worry about how little i sleep anymore, because that only makes me more worried, and makes me too anxious to try to sleep, which obviously, makes matters worse.
so, some days i sleep more to make up, and others, perhaps 3hrs put together. (and that, to me, i already appreciate!) hoot!

crazycat said...

hope ur sleeping problem has been resolved... :)

oceanskies79 said...

Thank you everyone for sharing.