Saturday, February 18, 2006

The wonders of practising


My Husband, the double bass

Practising on the double bass seems to improve blood circulation of the fingers, arms and head. I had just spent about close to 1 hour 20 minutes practising. I was practising orchestral pieces. That helped to push the blues away.

The secret is that I prefer to play excerpts from orchestral pieces than scales. However, I was told by my dear double bass tutor that in order to be ready for ABRSM Grade 8 exams, I need to start with practising scales. If I can be good at playing scales, playing the rest of the examination peices would become comparatively easier. Now, I wonder if I would be ready to register for Grade 8 exams.

The last time that I had registered for it about two years ago, I ended up having to pay extra money just to downgrade to Grade 7 exams. It might be a good choice on hindsight. But I suppose downgrading won't be the choice to take this year. Should one go forward, or simply give oneself more time?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long time no see. Beautiful instrument!

mistipurple said...

closing date is early march. i would be doing some registrations next week.
i would say, if you have seen the gd 8 pieces, and can manage them in time for july/sept, i would say, go go go!! :D
the scales and arpegios, aural, etc. can be handled in these few months.
you can ask for the early period or mid or last, depending on your other schedules. i usually request for the last, obviously, to allow more time for practice. :p

crazycat said...

if u think u are redy, jus go for it!! wow Grade 8...

and i am gradeless.... *lol*

oceanskies79 said...

Thanks for visiting Kunstemaecker.

I have went through two different pieces from category A.

I have yet to really get down to practising the pieces in category B for I don't have an inclination for contemporary works.

As for Category C, I have played a few of those orchestral works whose excerpts have been selected for the exams.

scales and aural now seem more challenging.