Sunday, September 04, 2005

A silent night

Earlier this afternoon, my parents left for China to visit relatives living there. They will be away for a week. And now, I have the luxury of the entire flat to myself because both my brothers went out and I don't think they would come home until it's midnight.

I am trying to appreciate the silence of the night. It is quite quiet here such that I could even hear what my neighbours are watching on their television if they were to turn the volume of the TV too loud. Actually, silence is a such precious commodity in our fast-pace society where noises clutter almost everywhere.

Earlier today, I don't actually feel like writing. I felt quite gloomy after reading the news, especially that related to the Hurrican Katrina. But right now, I realised I ended up writing quite a lot today. Maybe I have been trying to find a way to connect with this world? I admit I often find it hard to do so, this world seems not meant for me many of the times. I am still trying to figure out how I could make the world a better place for myself. Not much clue yet.

It is a silent night, though the mind is not necessary peaceful from the silence. Whatever it is, may the week ahead be fruitful. Take care folks.

6 comments:

mistipurple said...

i wish your folks a good and safe trip. and continue writing when you are up to it, i do enjoy your posts. :)

Calamity Man said...

i love silence. silence is treasure. peace and serenity kind of silence though, not the deafening kind.

Simple American said...

I don't get a whole lot of silence, so I enjoy it on the rare occasion that I find it. Hope your parents enjoy their trip. What part of China will they visit?

Do you find that writing comes easy sometimes when you least expect it, or are you more of a planner?

oceanskies79 said...

Thanks folks.
they are going to Hainan island.

Simple American: About writing, I don't have an answer.

Stephanie said...

I'm alone right now too - how wonderful! My husband and older son are camping this weekend, and my two-year-old had his first sleep-over and grandma & grandpa's. I'm getting more done this morning than I have in the last two weeks! Hope the same is true for you. :)

Jammie J. said...

I feel that way a lot of the time. Connecting with the quiet is often where I have to start. Writing is an outlet for me, oftentimes, I can write things more articulately than I can say them.