Saturday, April 09, 2005

9 April 2005

It seems that I might be at risk of getting sick. I did not feel well today, and slept till close to 9 a.m. This was unusual for a morning person like myself.

The pace for the earlier part of the day was slow. I merely took time to surf the internet, read some online articles and read the newspapers. There was no mood to wish to go anywhere. Hoping to rest and recharge, I took a nap in the afternoon. Possibly, I was not really feeling well. As such the nap that was taken was longer than I had wished to. It was more than two hours in duration.

As if to preserve my sanity, I decided I needed to take a walk outdoors in the late afternoon. The weather was not ideal for photography, but would still do fine for someone who needed a breather.

I travelled to library@Esplanade to return the CDs that I had borrowed last week. Then I went to Marina Food Loft for dinner. I met some of my orchestra mates there. I supposed that they could be there because they needed to eat dinner before they head for the Esplanade. Maybe they are involved in the Sound of Music production? Talking about the Sound of Music, I have yet to get the tickets. The available tickets are considered quite expensive for me. Of course, catching it live will still be a worthwhile experience, but it seems I may have to give it a miss.

I took my walk around the area and went to explore the new developments of Marina Square. Most of the constructions and renovations were incomplete, so I decided to head for Suntec. There, I treated myself to the Brownie Cheesecake from Coffee Beans & Tea Leaf. I like the crushed walnuts at the top. That is me, and my liking for walnuts. The brownie layer was nice, though I felt that the cheese layer did not go well with the brownie layer and the crushed walnuts. Somehow, the cheese layer bored my tastebuds after several mouthfuls of it. Anyway, the cake was still nice in general. I am just being critical. Maybe the cake might have tasted better if I had fruit tea to go with it?

By early evening, fully aware that I should not overstretched myself with excessive walking, I headed for home. Furthermore, I felt I needed to practise. For the coming Monday and Tuesday, I will have to work till pretty late in the evening. On Monday, I have arranged to make a homevisit to a client's home with a colleague. On the coming Tuesday, I have to work till 9 p.m. because I have been scheduled to do night duty. This means I will only have today and tomorrow to practise before my sectionals on the coming Wednesday. Actually, I won't mind using a double bass practice mute to allow me to practise late at night. However, I figured that I will be very drained from work on the coming Monday and Tuesday such that practice late at night may not be productive.

Thank goodness that I had sufficient energy and self-discipline after I had reached home, and I practised at slightly before 9 p.m. I spent about half an hour playing a few of the exercises from F. Simandl's New Method for the Double Bass. Then another half an hour going through Mendelssohn's Overture: The Hebrides (Fingals Cave). I was quite pleased that I managed to come up with a fingering that will make it easier for me to play one particular passage without having to sacrifice the quality of the sound. One hour of practice in total today.

It was quite a bother to the mind to realise that one of the zips of one of my bow cases has become redundant and will no longer serve its purpose. Basically, the zips will help me close the bow case which I use to keep my double bass bow. The good thing is that the other zip of the bow case is still working. I keep my fingers crossed that it will still serve me alright for some time. Anyway, I am used to faulty zips, it happened three years ago for one of my other bow cases, when both zips could not work. I am clueless to repairing faulty zips. Maybe I should learn how to repair faulty zips.

So that was my day. I took two pills of Vitamin C today in hope to increase my body's resistance to illnesses. I hope that might help. I wish I could stay healthy.

No comments: