Monday, April 04, 2005

Night of Mendelssohn's music

Tonight shall be a night of Mendelssohn's music, and hopefully music will soothe some of my inherent feelings of sadness and melancholy.

Yesterday, I loaned a CD album titled Mendelssohn, Complete Symphonies, Overture: The Hebrides conducted by Walter Weller and played by the Philharmonia Chorus and Orchestra. I had only one week of loan for this CD album, so won't it be good idea for me to start listening to it soon?

The opening of the "Italian Symphony" sounded full of energy that it caught my ears and seemed to moved away some of the gloom in me. I am no music expert who studies music to interpret this work accurately. I could only share how my experience of listening to the music. So here is it.

The night is short, just like life itself. I have only managed to listen to the Italian Symphony and Overture: The Hebrides, Op. 26. I look forward to play Overture: The Hebrides soon. It sounded nice.

3 comments:

Waterfall said...

I love the Italian Symphony, too. You're right, it does seem to drive away gloom. It has so much energy to it.

I also like Mendelssohn's piano trios. They are in minor, so they may not be the best for driving away the doldrums, but they're still beautiful. :)

Malcolm said...

Seventy years ago I was introduced to Mendelssohn's violin concerto. I soon knew it by heart - all of it that could be heard on 78s, that is. Fritz Kreisler was the soloist; it remains one of my favourite pieces of music, especially the deliciously sentimental slow movement.

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Waterfall and Malcolm, thanks for the recommendations. I shall see if I can lay my hands on Mendelssohn's piano trio and his violin concerto the next time I visit the music collection of the library. Thanks.