Monday, April 25, 2005

The double bass never fails

I could not tell when it has exactly started, the double bass has been my most loyal companion when my spirits needed a little lift.

Reflecting, I realised that I have been playing the double bass more regularly ever since I started practising for the ABRSM Grade 7 Double Bass music examinations. At the beginning, it took discipline to get myself to practise. Lately, I find myself trying to seek comfort and solace from the double bass. It did not seem to fail to lift my spirits a little when I feel low and moody. Playing on the double bass has also given me a sense of achievement and satisfaction, and these seem to put some smiles on my weary face.

It seems that when I have feelings and thoughts too abstract for me to clearly and easily articulate and express, it was through playing the double bass that I could find a way to relate and to express myself.

Instead of wasting time lamenting that I sometimes find myself struggling to communicate my innermost thoughts and feelings to people around me, I shall just simply celebrate the double bass for being one of my dearest friends and companions. Thank you, double bass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you - couldn't agree more.

Keep practicin'...

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Joe, thank you for the encouraging comments. =)