Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week 37, 38, 39 of year 2008 on the double bass



Week 37 to Week 39 of year 2008 is declared to be three weeks whereby I would take a break from my usual regime of practising at least four days per week.

Anyway, I foresee I would still practise on the double bass once in a while during these three weeks so here is to keep a short record.

7 Sep 2008, Sun: There was orchestra rehearsal in the afternoon in preparation for an upcoming concert. The orchestra went through all the concert's programme.

10 Sep 2008, Wed: It was concert day! Before the start of the rehearsal, I practised the first movement of Dragonetti's Concerto in A major and the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Concerto. The photo in this post is taken by acroamatic on the day of the concert. Thanks acroamatic.

I have had fun playing for this concert. The Rossini's pieces were awfully challenging technically for the double bass, and I am just glad that I could manage at least 70% of it. Anyway, the programme was generally light-hearted and enjoyable, and that makes it fun playing for this concert. I must have playing on the double bass on 10 Sep 2008 for at least three hours.

24 Sep 2008, Wed: My fingers remember! After a fornight away from the double bass, when I was back playing on a double bass during the orchestra rehearsal, the fingers do remember where to place themselves. Sightreading Schumann's First Symphony was a bit of a challenge because the fingers have not learnt where to place themselves.

However when I was simply playing through Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto and Dragonetti's Concerto in A major, the fingers somehow seem to know where to place themselves even though I was not consciously trying to do so. Such an experience was delightful.

Having some short breaks from the regular regime seem to do me some good.

I'm now looking forward to practise on the double bass.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

'away time' is refreshing.
i wish you good times ahead! :)

oceanskies79 said...

Misti: Yes, it is refreshing. Thanks for your support. :)