Sunday, August 09, 2015

21 June 2015: Arriving in Boston on Summer Solstice

Waiting for Silver Line SL1 at the Boston Logan airport.


Summer Solstice: The solstice at midsummer, at the time of the longest day, about 21 June in the northern hemisphere.

After hours travelling by plane, I finally arrived at the Boston Logan Airport. It was a wet weather day. One of the thoughtful services that I had appreciated when I was at Boston Logan airport was a help-desk service that gave directions on how to travel from the airport to a guest's destination. In addition, Massport provides a free shuttle bus service, Silver Line SL1, that serve all the airport terminals, A, B, C, E, the South Boston Waterfront & South Station with free connection to the red line. I greatly appreciated that the Silver Line SL1 buses have low floors for ease of boarding. 

Little things matter and thoughtfulness were appreciated. Many thanks to the team at both Massport and Boston Logan Airport for the thoughtful services.

Lobby of Hostelling International Boston.

While I was in Boston city, I chose to stay at Hostelling International Boston. It is conveniently located at 19 Stuart Street next to the Chinatown T station. The hostel is centrally located and close to some of the key places of attraction in Boston. I also like the fact that toilets and the rooms are generally clean. I stayed in a 6-bedded room. Staying in an International hostel was quite a positive experience for me. I get to meet and make new friends.

Phai Thai. My Thai Vegan Cafe.
My Thai Vegan Cafe
Nearby the hostel, there are a number of food and beverage establishments. I had dinner on the evening of summer solstice at My Thai Vegan Cafe at the 2nd floor of 3 Beach St, Boston, MA02111. My Thai Vegan Cafe is well known for its bubble tea and cakes. I ordered a plate of Phad Thai. The food was tasty and the service was thoughtful.

Getting myself a phone SIM card
After dinner, I went to get myself a wireless phone SIM card. There was a convenience store about 5 minutes walk from Hostelling Internation Boston. While I was waiting to settle the payment for the wireless phone SIM card, I realized it was already past eight o'clock in the evening. Yet, interestingly, the sky was still bright. Summer solstice indeed. This would be my first experience of summer solstice in the northern hemisphere. The day was long and the night was short.

I had a bit of challenges activating the SIM card. Thankfully it was resolved about 24 hours later, the next day. Many thanks to the professional and excellent help-desk support of H2O. I ought to have called the helpline earlier when I had challenges with activating the SIM card on summer solstice. Having a SIM card when I was travelling in the United States for about two weeks has proven to be helpful.

***
Hostelling International USA Boston
19 Stuart Street
Boston, MA 02116 
USA
Toll Free Tel: +1 888 464 4872

***
My Thai Vegan Cafe
3 Beach St
2nd Fl
Boston, MA 02111
USA
Nearest T station: Chinatown
Tel: +1 617 451 2395

No comments: