Sunday, August 16, 2015

22 June 2015: Along the Freedom Trail

King's Chapel Burying Ground. Boston.
Before visiting Boston, I have heard often about the historic Freedom Trail. This 2.5 miles route runs past 16 official sites that are among Boston's oldest landmarks. The Freedom Trail tells the story of the American Revolution as it began in Boston. I learnt that the Freedom Trail was officially established in 1958 to preserve the relevant key monuments and sites.

The Old State House in a distance.

It was fairly easy to recognize the Freedom Trail. The Trail is marked by a red-brick or painted line on the pavement. All that visitors have to do is to follow the marked trail. There are also daily guided tours available from Boston's main Visitor Information Centre (northeastern edge of Boston Common south of Park Street subway station) and from Faneuil Hall.
My friend, Emz, and I walked about parts of the Freedom Trail with a clear understanding that we would not be trekking the entire Freedom Trail that afternoon. Our plan was to have dinner at the North End of Boston by around six in the evening.

Boston's Old City Hall. I walked past it on 24 June 2015.

My friend and I visited the King's Chapel Burying Ground. It was a tranquil place to visit. The ship named Mayflower caught my eyes when I was reading the inscriptions on a few of the tombstones in the burying ground.

The Old State House, Boston.

On our way, we past by the Old State House. It was very popular with tourists and there was a queue to get in . Out of the interest of time, we moved on.

Remembering the Boston Massacre.


Looking back, during my short visit to Boston in end June 2015, I could have visited or seen from a distance many of the 16 official sites on the Freedom Trail without realizing I had done so. Here are the 16 official sites on the Freedom Trail:

- Boston Common
- Massachusetts State House
- Park Street Church
- Granary Burying Ground
- King's Chapel
- King's Chapel Burying Ground
- Benjamin Franklin Statue and Boston Latin School
- Old Corner Book Store
- Old State House
- Site of Boston Massacre
- Faneuil Hall
- Paul Revere House
- Old North Church
- Copp's Hill Burying Ground
- Bunker Hill Monument
- USS Constitution.

(source: http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/freedom-trail/official-sites.shtml)

My heartfelt thanks to my friend, Emz, for walking along part of the Freedom Trail with me. It was liberating to feel safe enough to explore a foreign country. The Freedom Trail is a reminder of a time in history when people acted on and lobbied for their ideals of freedom which subsequently shaped the story of the American Revolution.

Admittedly, I would still need some help and time to fully appreciate the story of the American Revolution please.

No comments: