Monday, January 02, 2006

After the rain


Raffles Place, Singapore.



It was New Year's eve. The time was slightly after 6.30 p.m. I had wanted to participate in a guided tour about the Singapore River, but the rainy weather made me change my plans that day.

Had dinner at Carl's Junior, an American hamburger chain, located at Robinson Tower. Perhaps because it was a Saturday evening and it was raining, there was not too much of a crowd at the restaurant. I like the idea of having to eat in a place where there isn't too much of a crowd. I like the taste of the criss-cut fries too.

After dinner, I realised that the rain had stopped. I walked about rather aimlessly hoping to find something nice to see. The eyesight seems declining at times and I think I must have subconsciously wanted to see as much as I can of the world around me, before it may turn dark unexpectedly. I hope this imagined thought will not become a reality.

As I walked, I found myself at Raffles Place, the place that you saw in the picture right above. There is so much history behind this place, I wish I could know more about it. I only know that Raffles Place used to be called Commercial Square before it was renamed in 1850s.

Anyway, I thought that the place had a touching sense of melancholy after the rain, and decided to capture the scene on digital film. I started with capturing the scene in colour, but later experimented with the monochromatic sepia colour. I think a monochromatic tone could best bring out the lines and the contrast, as well as the melancholic mood.

I must have been engrossed with the possibilities of taking shots in monochromatic mode. That very day, I went on taking several photos in a monochromatic colour scheme. The colours have been taken away, but the lines remain strong and vivid.

4 comments:

pinkie said...

hmmm... does your camera has tat mode?

oceanskies79 said...

Yup. I press on the "menu" button and set the colour mode to "sepia".

Emy said...

hey! carls junior!

i remember we had that at marina square right? it was your first time... did u try the portabellow mushroom this time??

btw, its chapter 6 cuz its the sixth yr my blog is up. gee, im ageging~

oceanskies79 said...

Yes, I tried the portabellow (?) mushroom burger. But I prefer the one that I had the last time that I was having dinner with you at the Marina Sq's Carl's Jr. The sauce tasted better for that burger.