Saturday, January 14, 2006

The eraser

I was doing the harmonising exercises about a few minutes ago, and found myself using the eraser very often. There is a tendency to brush those "eraser-dust" (what do you actually call them?) onto the floor, so the floor somehow feels more "flaky" than usual.

Somehow, the use of the eraser reminds me of the days when I was studying in lower Primary level when the teachers would recommend the pupils to use pencil to write out their answers to the various exercises. Maybe the teachers expect the students to make a lot of mistakes at that age, and it would be easier to correct their mistakes by erasing those mistakes with an eraser. Furthermore, at our times, correction fluids are often considered not safe for young children to use.

Similarly, I find it more convenient to use a pencil when doing music theory exercises. It is easier to use an eraser to erase off the mistakes on the manuscript paper, than to use a correction fluid to hide the mistakes away.

I am not sure if I am not in the moods for doing music theory exercises. The pace has been slow for the entire morning. There was this set of three bars that took me close to half-an-hour to harmonise. I am only half-way through for the harmonising exercises. The exercises are definitely getting more and more challenging.

I shall move on to read on the topic of transposing instruments after completing this week's set of harmonising exercises. That shall be the topic for next week's music theory lesson, and I was asked to read it in advance.

Hopefully, learning music theory will help me appreciate music better? This is one of my main reasons for taking up music theory classes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

@Brighter Death: smartypants :p

But is she right PY?

dreaming-neko said...

wouldn't alittle happiness and love help you appreciate music better too? :)

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Brighter Death, I just realised that you have changed your user name. Yes, you are very smart, the double bass is a transposing instrument.

I started playing the double bass as I was a member of my secondary school's Chinese orchestra, and was recommended to play the double bass because of my built. Now, I am playing in a Symphony Orchestra.

Kunstemaecker: Hi, thanks for visiting. Yes, she is.

Dreaming-Neko: How does one find happiness and love? I have no idea if those would help one appreciate music better.

fr said...

I think love does help one to appreciate music better and also to play better music. Perhaps not only love, other emotions too.