Monday, January 30, 2006

Day 2 of CNY 06

Msfeline has put up a link to Jay Chou's Nocturne and I can't help but say that one can get addicted to listening to it. Thanks Msfeline. I think you have made good recommendations.

***
Maybe it is a blessing to be in a family whereby visitations on Chinese New Year is rather minimal? Today, I only have one relative's place to visit for the Chinese New Year.

It felt a little odd this year. I received ang baos from two of my relatives who are supposedly my peers (at least we are from similar generations). They got married last year. It felt more odd to receive ang bao from one of them who was a few years younger than me. The other was my peer but was at least a few years older.

The custom in the family has it that only married people give ang baos. I don't know if I should attribute those odd feelings to certain embedded cultural and customary norms? It is as if one becomes aware of the embedded norms. I chose to do nothing much about that awareness.

Culture varies. Correct me if I am wrong, I heard that in Hong Kong, so long as one reaches a particular age (I think it's 21 years old), one is considered of the rightful age to give ang baos. Then I would be giving ang baos too.

**

Pardon me. Take it that I am anti-social, but I do not have a gift of making small talks with people. It can be draining for a person like me who favour introversion. To cope, I try to strike some kind of meaningful conversation with just a few people. That seems more manageable.

***
The earlier part of the day was spent reading. I am now reading Malcolm Gladwell's Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking. I decided to nourish my mind a bit by reading. The book lended me some insights of looking at things in ways that I usually would not.

Another part was spent blogging. Maybe I just needed a voice to be heard. Yet, I must have been so intentional in writing things in such abstract manner, that I think few could decipher what I was hoping to express.

One thing that I am pleased about is that I finally took time out to practise on my husband, the double bass. I felt I have been neglecting him for a while. While I have been practising, I was spending more time practising on my boyfriend, the double bass stored in the orchestra's premises.

Today's practices was about at least a total of 1.5 hours in duration. I practised certain segments from Brahms' Second Symphony. I also read Marcello's Sonata in G minor and Teleman's Sonata in A minor. **How nice it would be if I could get the piano to play at my fancy so as to accompany my playing.** Forgive me, I am simply in a fantasy world. So if there was anything constructive about today, it was the practising and the reading.

Tomorrow is a public holiday. I shall go out for a walk tomorrow.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

yes, msfeline got me addicted too. i have been listening so much of it and even got down to bopping my head and dancing in my room this afternoon when i got tired of sitting on the chair! lol!

and, i understand the stress of making small talk. i am not an extrovert. it's mainly my job that i 'force' myself to talk and entertain! shhh.. ;)