Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Does music cure irritability?

I had wanted to write a post about the Sunday rehearsal but had to postpone it till today.

Am I fated to be the lone double bassist? For several past Sunday rehearsals, I have been the one and only double bassist playing. Maybe Sunday is not a good day for rehearsals?

Yet, it was a comforting experience to play in the recent rehearsal. We played Brahms' Symphony No. 2, the first, second and third movement. I am feeling pleased that my proficiency in playing this work has improved from the times when I played it in Aberdeen during the trip to Aberdeen last year. The confidence in playing this work has also increased. Practice does matter.

Most time of that rehearsal was spent rehearsing the second movement of the symphony. I am biased, I have a liking for the inner movements of Brahms' symphonies. They speak to me. The tune from the second movement continued to ring in my mind after the rehearsals.

Admittedly, I felt quite irritable that day. But playing the second movement would urged one to put one's irritability aside, at least for a while. Music-making does help soothe one's soul.

**
As I write about the rehearsal, I can't help but to wonder who would be there to support the concert. Our orchestra's president told us that the orchestra members will have to sell at least 800 tickets in total. If I only include the stalls and the Circle 1 seats of the hall, that would only be close to 50%?

The details are as follow:

24 Feb 2006 (Fri), 7.30 p.m.
Venue: University Cultural Centre - Hall, National University of Singapore.

Tickets at $12 each.

We will be playing Brahms' Symphony No. 2, Mozart's Magic Flute and Mozart Piano Concerto No. 17.

Would you care to support this concert?

3 comments:

dreaming-neko said...

i think it depends on the tune...

but i like to strengthen my feelings with songs: make sad, sadder and happy, happier~

Jammie J. said...

sometimes music can make me feel less lonely. since i'm a night owl, i find myself awake at strange hours. turning on the radio is assuring to me to know there are others awake, somewhere, playing music. assuring, soothing, peaceful -- all those are good things and music is the key.

oceanskies79 said...

Dreaming Neko: I like to listen to sad tunes when I am sad, and vice versa.

J.: Thanks for coming by. Your presence is valued. Music soothes the soul. =)

SA: No worry about the typo.