Sunday, January 01, 2006

Remembering the heroes

Tonight is perhaps one of the more quiet nights that I have. It is New Year's Day and the constructions at the construction site near my home have decided it is a day for the workers to take a deserving break. Those workers are the everyday unsung heroes who help make those buildings we use possible.

If we were to open our eyes a little wider, the unsung heroes could be found everywhere. In this post, I like to pay tribute to the heroes who have fought bravely, many who have ended up sacrificing their lives, all in hope that the rest of us could live in freedom and peace.

**
This afternoon, thanks to the weather being kind on me, I went to this museum named: Reflections at Bukit Chandu. Bukit Chandu means "Opium Hill". The hill probably got its name after the British-owned opium packing plant which was established on the foot of the hill round about 1910.

The hill offers quite a peaceful environment and if we were to walk a little further from the museum, we may find ourselves at spots that offer scenic views.

The museum is housed in a restored colonial house. It tells of the Battle of Pasir Panjang that occured on 14 Feb 1942 where thousand brave soldiers from the Malay Regiment fought against the odds, against the invading Japanese soldiers.

The soldiers of the Malay Regiment were greatly outnumbered by the Japanese. At the same time, they had limited ammunition. Yet, they fought bravely. When their ammunition ran out, I understand that they fought hand-to-hand battle with the invading enemy then.



I was looking for information on this museum, and I especially like this which I shall quote for your reflection:
Reflection at Bukit Chandu is not just another World War II Centre. It is also a place for people to reflect on Singapore’s heritage of heroism, and the deeds of people who valued honour, courage and dedication above their own lives.


This was not my first time at the museum, but I still felt touched by the courage and dedication that those soldiers have displayed.

My favourite exhibits were:
- Battle For Singapore!: It gives a vivid snapshot of the Japanese invasion of Singapore from 7 - 15 Feb 1942. I felt I attended a good history lesson within a span of ten minutes.
- Bukit Chandu Theatre: Through the use of very good multmedia and sound effects, it gave me a better understanding of what the soldiers from the Malay Regiment might be facing when they were bravely fighting against the invaders.

I end this post with a salute to these heroes.

***
For more photos, visit: Reflections at Bukit Chandu and Kent Ridge Park on my other blog.

Sources:
- http://www.s1942.org.sg/bukit_chandu/homepage.htm
- http://www.nhb.gov.sg/MCC/VisitorInfo/RBC/

3 comments:

mistipurple said...

actually, my hope is for you to get a job similar to what you are doing at your blog. you research well and you write well. it's in your blood. but i hope you will enjoy it once it turns into a job. are there jobs like these? i am not sure, but i am sure there is something that will fit you to a T!

car@ said...

Misti is right! always so consciese in looking info and resarch and topping it with lovely pics! Maybe there is a job waiting for you? jeje!

HAPPY NEW YEAR PY!!! i wish you peace and all the possible happines ever from the bottom of my heart!

So happy you enjoyed Kracker's visit dear! I am sure you were the perfect tour guide he could ever have.

*HUGS*

oceanskies79 said...

Car@: Hello. Happy New Year once again. Thanks for your wishes. No idea if I could land myself to such a job, but i has been a good experience writing about my walks to share them with you folks on blogland.

Misti: Thanks for the compliments. In my blood? I think it took practice. Have a good day.