Saturday, January 21, 2006

Sounds and associations

Feeling the blues and the loads of late. To attempt to recover my sanity, I decided to go out this afternoon.

First on the list was to visit the dentist. According to the recommended guidelines, one should visit a dentist at least twice a year (approximately once every six months) for a regular check-up. Yours truly must have been the most obedient person to abide to such guidelines?

To get to the dental clinic, I had to take a bus. I flagged for one and somehow when the bus-driver tried to use the brakes to put the bus to a halt, the wheels of the bus gave out screeching sounds. That made my ear-drums hurt. It was as if something was pierching through.

When I was at the dental clinic, I was greeted with what sounded like the sounds of the friction of some kind of dental equipment against the teeth. Sharp sounds like those felt straining to my teeth. Thank goodness I don't have a phobia of seeing dentist, or else I would have been deterred to make the visit. It was a good idea that there was a television set at the dental clinic and that the sounds from the television set have concealed some of those sharp sounds.

After the visit to the dentist, I headed for the Esplanade - Theatres by the Bay. As I walked through the corridors of the Malls of the Esplanade, I saw a double bass standing in one of the shops, the Frank Brothers. I was tempted to go into the shop to try the double bass, but decided not to. While I have been wishing for a better double bass, I have really no real need for new one as yet. Maybe I would have been less restrained if I had a double bass bow with me earlier today? But I didn't have one. The truth is that when one is feeling the blues, one tends to be more passive to what is happening around oneself.

**
I continued walking, until I reached the library@esplanade. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that there was a public programme held at the library at the time when I was there.

The members of the NUS Piano Ensemble presented DACAPO to the audience at the library this afternoon. My favourites from the performance are: Dvorak's Slavonic Dance Op. 46 no. 2, Moszkowski's Spanish Dance Op. 12 No. 3. The players played fairly well. I heard that they have a concert coming up on 10 March 2006, 7.30 p.m, if you happen to be interested to listen to the NUS Piano Ensemble.

The music helped to lift the blues a bit. I could safely say: Music does soothe.

***
Somehow, the sight of the piano reminded me that if I were to wish to sit for the ABRSM Practical Exams (Double Bass), I would need to find a piano accompanist. Somehow, one must have a piano accompanist. I am beginning to wonder why this has to be so. But anyway, I have yet to decide whether I should take the Grade 8 Practical exams this year. I would need to decide soon, by 3 March 2006, if I wish to take the practical exams within this year.

***
Playing on the Personal Computer's multimedia system is an album by The Carpenters. Music shall soothe.

**
Earlier, Msfeline has kindly sent me a music file containing trance music. It sounded nice. I like the fact that I was able to control the volume and to listen to the trance music at a comfortable volume for my ears.

Msfeline said that trance music are supposed to be listened to at a very loud volume? Anyway, trance music played at a softer volume will be more acceptable for my ears. Thanks Msfeline for the introduction to trance music.

I think my ears are kind of sensitive, aren't they?

1 comment:

crazycat said...

hehe,yea, u need to have only nice smoothing music!!

and the reason, i did not sit for my grade exam was i hv no piano accompaniment. Plus i am too lazy to preapre for exam.

jiayou for ur exam!!