Saturday, January 14, 2006

Get acquainted with the Chinese culture

Chinese New Year is coming, but I have not much inclination to wish to join in the fun and merry of the festive season. Yet, I won't mind reading about the Chinese culture to understand the significance behind this important festival.

At the same time, there is more to the Chinese culture than the Chinese festivals: the Chinese literature, the Chinese language, Chinese food, the various Chinese performance arts and etc. There is so much more to know about and yet I feel I only know very little of my own culture.

I have studied Western art history in my secondary school years but have not been familiar with Chinese art history. I used to play in a Chinese orchestra but now am playing Western classical music most of the time.

***

Side-track a little, I have a feeling that Simple American and a few other bloggers who visit this blog may be interested to read more about Cantonese opera. This is a subject that yours truly will not be well-versed in.

However, the good news is that I chanced upon a blog that may lend some insights to the world of Cantonese opera. Check it out: http://frannxis.blogspot.com

For as the name of this post suggests, I shall make attempts to get acquainted with the Chinese culture.

No comments: