Saturday, April 14, 2007

Week 15 of year 2007 on the double bass

This photo was taken a year ago at the Esplanade.

8 Apr 2007, Sun: In the morning, I spent close to 40 minutes practising sight-reading. I choose to play the first 16 pieces from Yorke Solos for double bass and piano, volume 1. To help me in building a good sense of tempo and rhythm, I switched on and used a metronome to aid me in my practice.

These 16 pieces weren't as difficult as the sight-reading pieces from Develop Sight-reading, Vol 1 & 2 for all Bass Clef Instruments by Gaston Dufresne, edited by Roger Voisin. As such, I felt more confident and interested to continue to do more sight-reading for my future practice sessions.

After lunch, I spent some time practising Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro, and I realised that there are some passages whereby I would need help from my tutor. Having a tutor to seek guidance from is great. I wish I have had the resources to do so years ago.

9 Apr 2007, Mon: After a long day, I started practising on the double bass from 10.10 p.m. So far, I have not have neighbours knocking on my doors to ask me not to practise. Thank goodness for that.

The session lasted 20 minutes, and I practised Faure's Sicilienne at a slower tempo, with vibrato. I still need more practice to get a satisfactory vibrato. I would have practised longer, if not for the fact that my tummy wasn't feeling well.

11 Apr 2007, Wed: There was no orchestra rehearsal, and I miss it.

Anyway, in the night, I play Capuzzi's Concerto in D major (for violone or double bass and piano). It has been more than three months since I had last attempted to play this concerto. I decided to use this concerto as a sight-reading piece, and it turned out that I was almost able to play the entire concerto from the first movement to the last. Yes! This is one nice concerto. I am starting to harbour thoughts of playing it for the exams.

I also practised the third movement and fourth movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major. The third movement needs more work. I would like it to sound with greater depth.

12 Apr 2007, Thu: I love double bass lessons with MJ more and more. Despite feeling pretty tired at the start of the double bass lesson, the sound of the double bass and the delight of hearing my playing improve has brought comfort to my tired body and mind.

For today's lesson, I played the entire Marcello's Sonata in G major for MJ. I felt glad that MJ agreed with me that I needed more work on the third movement, and he spent a fair bit of my lesson to get me to work on the third movement. I love his demonstration of a rendition of the third movement of the sonata. Start with full and fast bow, if I had understood him correctly. More practice would be needed on my own on this.

He also requested me to play the fourth movement of the sonata again for him. I was reminded to be steady in my rhythms, and not to rush. There is enough time for everything, and if I fear I don't have enough time, fear may rob me of good music.

What pleased me was that he agreed to my request to go through Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. I didn't have the time to go through the entire piece, but I was very pleased that at least he helped me with those difficult passages where I had needed help. Thanks MJ.

On my way to music theory class, and on my way home from music theory class, I could not help but have the resonating sounds of the double bass singing in my mind. Such is a pleasure.

14 Mar 2007, Sat: I spent at least 25 minutes practising Pachelbel's Canon transcribed to G major, scored for a double bass quartet, arranged by David Heyes. It was pretty challenging to play a couple of the leaps of an octave. I would still need more practices on this. Way to go!

**
Reviewing my practices on the double bass for this week of 15, I proudly announce that I have continue to reach my target of practising at least four days per week, at least 15 minutes on each of these four days. Having said so, there are still a lot of things I would need to practise on.

I wish to spend more time to practise so as to improve my vibrato. I wish to have more time to practise scales and studies. I would like more time to practise sight-reading. Time is such a precious commodity. In the future, if you don't see me posting on my blog as often, it could be because I am practising on the double bass.

1 comment:

Simple American said...

We can accept practice as a reason to not blog.

So happy to see you are being successful. Wish my daughter would practice more.