Sunday, July 24, 2005

Thanks for the memories

Thanks for the memories....

I was tagged by Mistipurple. Though I am not sure if I should be thankful for such a long list, I shall be polite and say thanks for the tag.

(In case you wish to read Mistipurple's replies to the tag, click on this link.)

Actually, I have no clear idea how to act on this tag. I shall do my best to attempt it anyway.

10 years ago today: I can't remember what I was doing on 24 July 1995. I think I should have been in Secondary Four then.

I was probably trying hard to finish my art project back then. In addition, I was probably quite busy attending rehearsals. I used to play the double bass in the Chinese Orchestra during my secondary school years.

5 years ago today: That should be on 24 July 2000. I should have just started the new academic year for my third year in the university. Prior to the start of the third year, I had to serve an eight-week long of social work field practicum.

Immediately following the field practicum, with the rest of my peers in my social work cohort, I had to go for an intensive two weeks of study on this module on Human Resource Management. There was a short exam at the end of the two weeks.

As such, I had practically no time to rest during what was supposed to be school vacation. So when term time started, I was feeling drained.

It was a difficult time. I was both mentally and physically exhausted when the academic year started. In addition, I remember that I was grieving over the loss of a friendship back then too.

1 year ago today: That should be 24 July 2004. I think I was preparing hard for the ABRSM Grade 7 Double Bass Practical Exams. Reflecting, I am glad that I took the major step to sit for the Practical exams. It has helped me to be more diligent in practising scales, and to attempt to develop greater sense of musicality.

Yesterday: That is 23 July 2005.
It was not my working Saturday, but I went back to office for two sessions with my clients. Somehow, I sense that I am getting to enjoy working with clients on counselling-related issues than with clients on casework-related issues. This is probably an evolution of my practice?

Yesterday was also one of my ex-colleagues', Rachel's, wedding. Congratulations. Wishing her a blissful marriage.

Tomorrow: That would be 25 July 2005. I see myself working hard to clear work. Afterall in about slightly more than a week's time, I will be flying to Aberdeen, Scotland to participate in the Aberdeen International Youth Festival. I keep my fingers crossed that I would be clear-minded enough to get my work done properly.

5 snacks I enjoy: I try not to snack too much. Anyway, here's the five snacks that I enjoy (not in order of preference):
1. Muesli bar
2. Fresh organic fruits (already being cut for me)
3. Dark chocolate
4. Raw celery (already cut and washed)
5. The buttermilk biscuit from Popeye, served with maple syrup.

5 bands that I know the lyrics to most of their songs: Actually, I don't listen much to bands. Spare me of this one. I think I know the lyrics of some of the songs by The Carpenters, but I don't know the lyrics to most of their songs.

5 things I would do with $100,000,000: It may seem a lot, but it would finish out soon.

Anyway the five things are:
1. Invest part of it in funds, with medium or low risks to keep the money growing.
2. Buy myself another double bass and a good double bass bow
3. Travel to parts of Europe
4. Treat my grandmother to what she would like, and give part of it to my two brothers.
5. I have promised to invest in Mystic's dream bakery-shop business, as such, I shall.

5 locations I'd like to run away to:
1. An apartment that sits along Singapore River, and I shall just enjoy being close to the museums and places of interest that I love.
2. Italy, but I have yet to think about which part of Italy I wish to run to.
3. Switzerland, I think I would love to see the sceneries there.
4. Belgium. Kunstemaecker had once offered to be a good host if I were to go there. I hope the offer would still be on when I could afford to travel to Belgium.
5. Can't think of one now. A peaceful and quiet place, I suppose?

5 bad habits I have:
1. I do not like to tidy my rooms, but I like it to be relatively dust free.
2. I hate to do the laundry so I leave it to others to do for me wherever possible.
3. I may get obsessed with things that I like to do, and may talk constantly about those things. (e.g. my dear "husband")
4. I don't like to help with the household chores so I try not to be around at home when my parents will be doing the household chores.
5. I will start to hum tunes (at times aloud) in public when I feel bored or need to stimulate my tired mind. I also hum aloud when I am feeling stressed.

5 things I like doing:
1. I like looking at visually pleasant works of art or objects.
2. I like to play the double bass when I feel competent at playing those works on hand.
3. I like to be able to lend a listening ear to a friend. Somehow, doing so helps to expand my understanding of the friend.
4. I like to gather information especially when I have the luxury of time.
5. I like to have a task done well. It gives me a sense of satisfaction and achievement.

5 things I would never wear: It would be easier to start with what I would tend to wear. Anyway, I will avoid wearing clothes whose textures feels uncomfortable . I will not wear too fanciful clothes. I will not wear clothes that would take me hours to put on properly. I will not wear heels that would subject my feet to lots of discomfort and pain. I don't think I would wear a mini-skirt. I hope these would pass?

5 TV shows I like: I hardly watch TV shows nowadays. I shall skip this question. I generally like TV shows that are informative, and relate to my areas of interests. I crave for knowledge more than entertainment. But it would be nice to watch informative programmes that are just as entertaining.

5 movies I like: Similarly, I hardly have a craze for movies. But I do remember liking Finding Nemo, and Bill Elliot. These are the few movies that I have watched and have enjoyed.

5 famous people I'd like to meet:
1. Johannes Brahms. (I love his symphonies.)
2. Leonardo da Vinci (I am impressed by his versatility, and wish to learn from him.)
3. Tchaikovsky (Since I quite like his Fifth Symphony of late)
4. Ding Shaoguang (I like his prints.)
5. Vincent van Gogh (One of my favourite artists.)

5 biggest joys of the moment:
1. Enjoying the satisfaction of playing well on the double bass, especially when I play the double bass with the orchestra.
2. Being awarded an award for one of my art works. This happened when I was younger.
3. Being praised and complimented that the photos that I take are nice.
4. Completing an important piece of work, and getting it done well. I think I have a need to strive to reach my own standards.
5. Finally being able to resolve and work out a very challenging and difficult problem or situation. Doing so tends to give me a sense of achievement, and I find joy in it.

5 favorite toys:
I don't know if I should refer the double bass as a toy. It is not. But I play the double bass as a hobby, and it is one of my favourite possessions.

I also like to see the Personal Computer as one of my favourite toys. I spend much time on it everyday.

Ny latest favourite gadget, and if you call it a toy, is the digital camera. It is a pity that due to my busy schedules for the past few weeks, I have not been going out for photography field trips to take photographs.

I used to have a couple of toys when I was younger, but at my age, I have outgrown them. I quite like Tetris. I also like to play checkers (I hope I have gotten the name correctly).

5 people to tag: I would rather not tag any. If anyone wishes to try this, please tag yourself on your own. Please also drop me a note if you have tagged yourself, so that I could go and read your entry.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

thank you for picking up the tag and for sharing. i enjoyed reading every line of this post. :)

Anonymous said...

I read this post waaaayyyy too late. Of course the offer would still be valid if you decide to visit Belgium!